Help building main office computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might not make a difference, but if I don't consolidate a few computers, there will be six computers (not people) there are only 4 of us right now and it would be unlikely that they access anything on it more than a printer at the same time, but none-the-less, I'm glad you pointed that out, b/c I want to make sure I get what is appropriate to make this work the way I expect it to. If what I have just told you makes a difference, let me know.

I really don't foresee more than one person accessing the Buildsoft at a time, but want it set up correctly. We could limit it to just one other computer for that if it would make it work better and just have the printer/fax sharing on the others.

Let me know what you think.

Here is the list I have so far and I am still uncertain about a few things:

Having never run more than 2 monitors, does this graphics card allow me to run more than 2 monitors or am I still missing something? The card I have listed is a 2x, is that correct or do I need 2 separate normal cards?

For the case, is there any benefit to having both fans on the side vs one on side and one on front? I really don't care what the case looks like, but do know that cooling is important.

Thanks

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model EU80569PJ067N - OEM

GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

2X Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

HIS Hightech H387X2F1GNP Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB (512MB x 2) 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Fujitsu MAX3147RC 147GB 15,000 RPM Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Hard Drive - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply - Retail

Aplus CS-Monolith Black SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
XCLIO A380BK Fully Black High Gloss Finish SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

You will need this graphics card which has 4 dvi ports since you want to run 3 monitors. The graphics card you selected only had outputs for 2 monitors.

Newegg.com - ASUS EAH3870X2/G/3DHTI/1G Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Since this one graphics card can run four monitors you will not need crossfire which means you could save some money and g with a p35 motherboard instead of an x38.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Also you might want to look into raid 1 hard drives since data backup is important. I will let someone who knows more about raid get into the details but it basically saves your data on two hard drives so if one drive dies you don't lose your files.

You will also need a 64bit operating system to utilize all 4gb of ram.

Thanks,
So everything else looks compatible?

What is the advantages/ disadvantages of buying an OEM operating system vs. retail? Do you still get to download updates etc. How about re-installing it if you reformat the computer?

It doesn't look like newegg even has a 64 bit retail XP, but does have OEM.

I may end up using Vista, but I'm still trying to figure out which will be most compatible with what I want to put on it.

Sorry to keep dragging this out, but I have a couple more things.

I have the 73 gig 15000 rpm HD listed for the OS and programs, but would like another large HD for my data and backup options like the raid that Puddle Jumper mentioned. So what would be the best way of accomplishing this?

I also will need a DVD burner if you have any recommendations on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom