Help building main office computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Rekit

In Runtime
This computer will be the network host for the other computers in the office. It will have Outlook, several office programs, SolidWorks and or AutoCAD running simultaneously most of the time as well as several web pages. There will not likely be any gaming on it until it is retired from the office. I do some web editing as well for a personal site with Dreamweaver and fireworks, but nothing really that complex for that.

So basically I need a machine that can handle running many programs at once and I would also like to have a video card that can handle 3 monitors (will I need 2 video cards?). I am interested in a water cooled system as well unless those have had negative results.

I know Intel used to be the way to go for using many programs, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Anyway, if I could get some general recommendations for a starting place, I will decide on the items that are most important and then find the rest of the components that will be compatible.

Thanks,

John

Looks like you're going to want a quad core and a good amount of RAM. You can't run two video cards (SLI atleast, not sure about crossfire?) and have a 3 monitor output that I'm aware of.

Water coolings nice, but only if you're overclocking. If not I really wouldn't worry much about it.

I'd suggest, as well as most of the forum, to stick with Intel. Their Core 2 duo and quad series are great processors.

If I can get a budget from you I'd be happy to help! I mean really, I could throw a $4,000 rig at you easily haha.

You can run multiple monitors with crossfire so you probably should go with an x38 motherboard if the budget permits it.

Very nice dude. SLI 2x 3870's if your budget permits, they're great cards. They help the highest score for 3DMark06 for awhile.

Puddle and everyone else, how much RAM should this guy run?

4,6,or 8?

Once you get a budget up I'll be happy to throw a build together for ya.

By "network host" do you mean that this computer is supposed to function as some type of central system others access to run applications?

Very nice dude. SLI 2x 3870's if your budget permits, they're great cards
lol SLI with ATI
heres what i recomend;

core 2 quad q6600
4gb ddr2 (crucial ballistix)
x38 mobo (gigabyte brand)
3870/50's in crossfire
corsair 620hx psu

dunno how much RAM you need could get more pretty cheap, dont really think you need watercooling becuase it wouldnt be good to overclock a work pc IMHO (might corrupt data(overclocking), water leaks, maintenence, etc)

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wow. Ok. Brain fart. I'm not used to refferencing CrossFire hahahaha.

Oy vey.

He doesn't need to go with Ballistix since he's probably not going overclocking.

Pick up-

Q9450
4GB if not 6GB or 8GB of this stuff- Newegg.com - Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
X38 mobo (Any reputable brand, like Gigabyte)
3870's in Crossfire
Corsair 620HX PSU (It's what I'm running and couldn't be happier)
Case of your choice
Hella hard drive space, I'm guessing you're going to be having a lot of files.

Thanks for the replies,

There really hasn't been a budget set per se, but I don't want to spend extra money on things that are not needed just for the sake of having the “best/most expensive” piece of equipment. For example, if the water cooled system won't necessarily make a difference in my situation, I don't want to spend the extra money on it. And I don't need a fancy lit up case for it or some extravagant sound card/system, but I hate to put too many constraints on my options by just throwing a price out there when it could be less than I need to spend and get recommendations based on that number.

I am fine with the X38 motherboard if that is what I need to get the 3 monitors running.

As far as the networking goes, it won't be anything very robust, roughly 6 other computers accessing it for printers/plotter, answering faxes, hosting the accounting software program (Buildsoft) for the other computers to be able to add entries and access data and just general data access such as contacts etc. through Access. I just don't want it to struggle/ get bogged down while I am trying to work on it if others are accessing it through the network as well.

And I would like suggestions for a backup as well (either extra HD or whatever else might be out there now)

Let me know what other details I need to provide.

John

With 6 people accessing the system to store data and access printers, you need a server, not a workstation. If you've got multiple people using resources on this computer while you're also working directly on it, you put the integrity of the data at risk should the system crash or reboot without warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom