Help: Building High End Gaming PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Virgin Techie
Default Help: Building High End Gaming PC

Okay first off my budget is $2,500(Going over a little is acceptable), and I have already selected most of my components, but am open to suggestions. I plan on using this PC for high end gaming, as well as every day stuff such as music and videos; for example playing the latest games on high-ultra quality. at higher resolutions, while maintaining an acceptably high frame rate(around 60FPS).

Here's my build so far..

Tower - $195

Motherboard: - $330

CPU/Processor: - $570

GPU/Graphic Card: - $270($135 X 2)

32GB of DDR3 1866 RAM - $225(This may be a bit excessing, let me know.)

SSD/SolidStateDrive: Crucial M4 256GB Sata III - $210(Main file drive.)

WesternDigital 2TB HDD - $230(Secondary drive for music/video files, etc..)

PSU/Power Supply Unit: 1200Watt - $240

Total Budget Used: $2,170(Savings calculated.)

List of components still needed:

*CD/DVD Drive
*WiFi Adapter
*Sound Card

What can I do to improve my build?(More VRAM/Graphics?)

What can I do to save some money?(Go with 16GB of 1866 RAM instead?)

Soviet Lasagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru
Default Re: Help: Building High End Gaming PC

Drop the X79 setup. Save yourself some money and get better performance in games at the same time. Get a Z77 board and a 3770k. If this is for games and no video editing, Photoshop, or anything like that then 8GB is more than plenty, and 1600mhz at that.

Drop the Cooler Master PSU. 1st reason being, even with dual cards 1200w is way too much. Next thing, they don't make very good PSUs at all. Get a Corsair 650w or 750w HX and that will be more than plenty.

Next thing, dual 7770s isn't that great. Get a single 670 or if budget permits dual 660ti cards. Be way more performance and without the hassle of AMD drivers.

Any DVD burner will do.

Keyboard and mouse are more personal preference really. You would probably do good with any gamer oriented keyboard, but for a really good mouse I suggest going to a local PC shop (Best Buy, Frys, Comp USA, whatever) and testing out mice. A mouse IMO can make or break a PC gamer.

Monitor, any size you are comfortable with, 1080p or above.

Wifi Adapter, if you need range (multi story house, distance, ect) then get a PCI-E 1x N card. If not, an N USB adapter would do fine.

No need at all for a sound card.

"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
ninja troll
Default Re: Help: Building High End Gaming PC

dont waste your money on 'high end' hardware.

waste your money on a pair of these:

it's doubtful you can find a better monitor that you can see this much difference in.
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote