Help building a Decent gaming PC. - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge
Default Re: Help building a Decent gaming PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzo385 View Post
Don't that Samsung monitor come in a model that does not have the built in speakers. Do not really want that. The GPU he listed should be able to handle that 24" Samsung right?
The GTX 285 should be able to handle it, yes. And is a perfect candidate for SLI later on. As for a monitor without speakers built-in:
$300 - Newegg.com - BenQ E2400HD Glossy Black 24" 5ms/2ms(GTG) HDMI 16:9 Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1(DCR 10000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors
$380 - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG TOC T240 Rose Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20000:1(1000:1) - LCD Monitors

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 03-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Both look nice, have never heard much on the BenQ's though. How do they compare to Samsung?

Oh and to add I also need a network card, and will probably go ahead and put a wireless card in it at the end of the build.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

I would go with the Samsung, they make quality monitors. Any wireless network card will do.

This is a good one too:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 03-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
True Techie

Ok, kind of thought any network card would work. I have just heard that they have a few "gaming" network cards out that make your connection run "faster and smoother" or something. Was not sure if this was true or not.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

This is my monitor: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2433BW High Glossy Black 24" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20000:1(1000:1) - LCD Monitors

By far the best deal on a 24" 1920x1200 I've seen.

Btw, does anyone know if any of the regular users are girls? I saw you said guys/girls, but I don't think there are any girls on the tech-forums, lol. I know I saw one asking for build help one time, and I was pretty surprised. That was the only one though, and that is the only time I saw her post. I mean, I could be wrong, but this is just my assumption.
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Techie

Some forum members have used BenQ monitors and were very satisfied.

You will just need the wireless card. Motherboards have built in gigabit LAN so any wired connection is already good to go. As for wireless, do you need N-draft speeds or just B/G?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7sanremo View Post
I would go with the Samsung, they make quality monitors. Any wireless network card will do.

This is a good one too:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors
Lol that's the one I suggested the first time and he requested one without built-in speakers. That is why I then recommended the BenQ and Samsung without speakers.

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 03-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Ah, lol well with that one he won't have to mess with a mail in rebate, it's $350 right off the bat. Plus I would think built in speakers and TV tuner is a added bonus.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 03-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Yeah, I'm just posting an alternative if he isn't interested in watching tv, or if he would like better quality speakers. It is an $80 save after all.
Mobo: ASUS P6T
PSU: 750W PC Power & Cooling
Old 03-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Techie

@gt7
As would I, but I guess he didn't want them. Just so you know, skitzo, you do not have to use the built-in-speakers. You can connect your audio to whatever you want. I think gt7 and I both feel that the one with the tuner and speakers is a better option because it does not require the rebate and still gives you more goodies.

@Druid
I actually didn't notice your post for a second there. That's a very good price/specs for a Samsung 24". It doesn't include HDMI, but if the OP doesn't need HDMI, this would be the same as the other ones we've been posting.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie

Wireless is G, thought about an N but did not feel the need.
If over all the monitor with the built in speakers is a better buy then I will deal with the space taken up by the built in and probably get that one.

Oh and I do want HDMI and the TV tuner will be a nice addition in the end.

@ the guy/girl comment, I was not sure if females made regular posts, so I figured I would try to be politcally correct and include them in the convo if they wanted. lol

Nice imput so far. Going to try and keep it topped untill Sat. Will try to make my first purchase then, before I spend all of my pay check. :/

Closed Thread