Help building a Decent gaming PC. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Help building a Decent gaming PC.

Hey everyone, new to these boards but I ran through a few posts and it looked as though several of you know what you are talking about so here we go.

I am wanting to build a decent/nice gaming PC.

I am going to buy the compents as I can as I get paid.
Over all I am looking to spend between $1-2K.

I could also use some help with a nice new monitor. Would prefer no less then 22" and want it as best as I could possibly afford.

Oh and I have nothing started so I will need everything for the build.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Default Re: Help building a Decent gaming PC.

i7 would be the best route to go.

cpu & mobo:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

ram & gpu:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Good ram, overclocks nicely.
psu:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

hdd:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

optical:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
You can pick a less expensive case, but I really dig these. They have a nice design inside.

monitor:
Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors
I have this monitor and I love it. Good price too.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Total is $1657 w/shipping, then $90 of mail in rebates.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 03-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to NightSurge

Not bad at all, GT. OP, if you choose to go with this build, and since you stated you are buying them in spurts of money flow, I would get those combo items first as combos do not last long and usually save you a lot of money. Oh and if you do get that monitor, grab it quick as in 4 more days it will be at least $20 more expensive (promo code expires).

I would also get this case instead. I'm just a big fan of NZXT and this case is cheaper plus has lots of room for cooling advancements (side panel has 4 fan ports).
Newegg.com - NZXT ZERO 2 Crafted Series CS-NT-ZERO-2 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Not bad looking.
I would kind of prefer larger then 22", min of 22" and that one looks nice but I have 22" now and would really like larger, and possibly put up duel screen but not sure.

Oh and the monitor does not have to be included in the $1-2k price range, if it gets that high.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Yea surge I have seen that case before on someone else looking at building one. I get paid tonight so I will probably try to pick up the first combo item first. So any suggestions on first combo buy. The processor/MB combo looks nice.

What does GT and OP mean surge?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzo385 View Post
Yea surge I have seen that case before on someone else looking at building one. I get paid tonight so I will probably try to pick up the first combo item first. So any suggestions on first combo buy. The processor/MB combo looks nice.

What does GT and OP mean surge?
I would grab the RAM/GPU combo simply because it saves you more ($25 + 2 rebates) than the CPU/Mobo combo ($20 + 1 rebate).

GT was referring to gt7sanremo and OP stands for "original poster" which would be you

As for the monitor, I wouldn't recommend anything over 24" for a PC monitor. Higher than 1920x1200 resolution will cost you big time in both monitor price and the need for more GPU power.
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG ToC T240HD Rose-Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1 Built in DTV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Speakers - LCD Monitors

That monitor is basically a monitor/HDTV so if you need to watch some TV in your computer room, you are all set!

If I was helpful, please click the icon on the left hand side of this message that looks like a check mark Thanks!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Ok, I saw that monitor at bestbuy and had been reading into it. Looked really nice, was wondering about it.

Oh and the Ram/GPU buy looks good.

Keep the suggestions coming guys/girls.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

I'm not a big fan of NZXT cases. I just had wiring problems on an NZXT Apollo I put together recently, turns out the wiring for the Power and Reset switch was messed up. And it wouldn't boot up, luckly the motherboard had onboard power and reset switch. And I had to make a temporary switch on the Apollo for the time being.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7sanremo View Post
i7 would be the best route to go.

cpu & mobo:

ram & gpu:
Good ram, overclocks nicely.
psu:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

hdd:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

optical:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
You can pick a less expensive case, but I really dig these. They have a nice design inside.

monitor:
Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors
I have this monitor and I love it. Good price too.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Total is $1657 w/shipping, then $90 of mail in rebates.
This looks good

I'd get this with a 1080p monitor (most are around 21.5-26'') but even the 21.5 inches looks as good as gaming on a huge, high-end Television just the screen isn't as big

But the picture quality is really good, just make sure your GPU can take it, becase 1920x1080 is a huge resolution
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Don't that Samsung monitor come in a model that does not have the built in speakers. Do not really want that. The GPU he listed should be able to handle that 24" Samsung right?
Old 03-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7sanremo View Post
I'm not a big fan of NZXT cases. I just had wiring problems on an NZXT Apollo I put together recently, turns out the wiring for the Power and Reset switch was messed up. And it wouldn't boot up, luckly the motherboard had onboard power and reset switch. And I had to make a temporary switch on the Apollo for the time being.
Yeah I've never used any cheaper NZXT models (Apollo, Alpha). But the ones I did use (Tempest, Guardian, Lexa) were all great!

Closed Thread