Help appreciated for new build 700-800 GBP budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostRiots

Solid State Member
Hello, I'm new to building pcs and this will be my first so please bear with me...

As the title says, I can probably stretch the budget to £800 although obviously I'd prefer to keep it a little under. I DO need a new monitor, mouse, and speakers. One thing I am unsure of is sound cards, I am a music lover and want to listen to a lot of high-quality music, will a sound card make much of a difference? Or not seeing as how you can't really get decent speakers on my budget anyway.

Use will be a bit of everything really, some gaming (nothing too intensive), internet, films...and I'd quite like to experiment with some audio production software (cubase etc) although this is more of a curiosity/amateur interest than a necessity.

I'm thinking of going for an i5, 4GB ram and a mid range gpu. Here's what I've quickly knocked together although I'm really not sure about it?

CPU Scan.co.uk: Intel CPU Core i5 2400 Sandy Bridge Quad Core Processor - BX80623I52400
MOBO Scan.co.uk: Asus P8H67-M REV 3.0, Intel H57, S 1155, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR3 1066/1333, SATA 6Gb/s, RAID, MATX
GPU Scan.co.uk: XFX HD 6850 Black Edition AMD / ATI Radeon Graphics Card - 1GB + Free Shogun 2* - HD-685X-ZNBC
CASE Scan.co.uk: Thermaltake WingRS 201 Black Mid Tower Case - VJ60001N2Z
PSU http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-coolermaster-elite-power-power-supply-(psu))
MONITOR Scan.co.uk: Viewsonic VX2239WM 22" LCD Monitor
HD Scan.co.uk: Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hard Drive ST3500418AS
RAM Scan.co.uk: Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9 Dual Channel Desktop - TW3X4G1333C9A
DVD DRIVE Scan.co.uk: Samsung DVD Writer, SH-S223C/BEBE, SATA, Black, OEM
SPEAKERS Scan.co.uk: Creative Labs 2.1 Speakers 25 W RMS Sound System - 51MF0395AA003
MOUSE Scan.co.uk: Logitech M115 Black Mouse, 3 Button, Optical, USB - 910-001268
OS Scan.co.uk: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM Operating System - GFC-02050

total £764.57 including VAT

Is everything compatible? Suggestions and improvements? I'd like to buy from scan.co.uk or misco.co.uk

Thank you

Unfortunately, i've got no time to do research for you but:

CPU: Try finding the i5 2500K. It craps on everything on the market from a great height (bang for buck wise)
Mobo: You can't SLI on it. Which is a problem if you ever want to boost the graphics, which you could do easily on a SLI enabled board simply by adding another 6850. EDIT: it also only supports 1333mhz RAM stock.... What will you use this computer for?

Can you re-use your monitor, mouse, keyboard, optical drive & speakers from your old computer? It might save you some dosh and let you upgrade a few of the other components...

Sorry I can't help more. Hopefully that does give you some food for thought....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom