Help & advice please anyone! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Help & advice please anyone!

Sorry for the generic topic, I know its annoying

I have just aquired (for free, it was being scrapped) a Silicon Systems SSL 1225 server unit that I can't find any info on.

All I know at present is, it has 4 120gb HDs, a CD drive, RAID (which i've only just learnt the meaning of, can I remove this or is built into the mobo??), and thats about it.

I would like to install windows on it and use it as a low- end gaming pc of some sort, but I don't seem to be able to boot my windows [see below linux people] install CD off it. The CD drive is first in the boot options.

Failing that, my linux CD also wont boot (ive tried multiple copies of various distros), so I'm a bit lost as it has a password on it from the place I got it from, which I don't have access to. I just want to wipe everything and start fresh.

Any ideas or obsolutely anything greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
MetalHead Techie
Default Re: Help & advice please anyone!

RAID is the hard drives working together, idk someone explain it better, if you want linux info post in the linux forum about 1000 pixels down from here

Proc Intel 2500k
Video XFX 6950 1Gb
Display 22'' Monitor Chemei 5ms RT, 800:1 CR
Mobo Biostar Z68A+
Mem 4 gb PNY DDR3 1600
Case afk
Sound Logitech z-5300e 5.1 + Razer Orca's + Creative Soundblaster Audigy SE
PSU Corsair 520hx
OS Windows 7 64-bit
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
HDD Hitachi 1Tb
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via MSN to kobe24

lol 1000 pixcels, raid is data being slit into halfs so half the file is on one hdd and the other half is on the other hdd, bu the computer thinks its one hdd so its like half the the accuall size so it can be read quicker
3D MARK 06 ***14,063*** on vista, use to get it
p4 2.8ghz
Asus p4SD-LA
6800gs ultra
1.5gb ddr400 oem
120gb hdd

The Techies' Bible
Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

raid is just to simple configuration/placement of your hard drives driven by a raid controller and also comes in different setup's the most common being, raid 0,raid 1 and raid 0+1.

raid 0 uses data stripping so it splits every bit of data over a given amount of hdd's making them work together kind of sli, which increases overall speed.

raid 1 is basically just a mirror so u could have 2 hdd's and the second copies all the data from the first one providing extra security.

raid 0+1 uses obviously both of these, for example u could have 2 hdd's in raid 0 (data striping) and another 2 hdd's mirroring all the data from the hdd's in raid 0.

im not too sure about the windows cd error though...
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito

Closed Thread