Hello guys :) Would appreciate help making Gaming Rig of Doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay how about this question then.

For my "requirements" and configuration, how important is it would you say for me to get 980X and OC it to 4?
Are we talking "you will see significant fps / performance increase", or are we talking "in 2 years time when you play new-uber-game in one window and render 3dmax stuff in other window it will come in handy"?

will the 3.6 GHz percore bottleneck me much? (lets ignore >for now< the part about 920/930 and 960 argument) Should i actually consider upping the CPU or is it just a moneysink?

Edit @ Farinha im sorry but your typos kinda make it hard to understand your point. Are you saying i should not OC 20/30 to 4GHz, or i should do it because i have good cooler?

Just get a quad core. Forget the 6 cores as it isn't very useful in gaming. In fact, few games fully utilize 4 cores and the quad core i7's actually show up as 8 cores due to hyperthreading.

To be honest, a 920 running at 2.6GHz should run any game at full speed. The i7 architecture is good and if that game takes advantage of its dual core (or more in some newer games) processing it should run fine at 2.6GHz. However, it can lag if you leave other programs open while gaming or are playing very AI or physics intense games (especially sandbox style games like Garry's Mod). At 3.2GHz (i7 960 stock but attainable with overclocking on other chips) it should run a bit quicker when multitasking but again you probably won't notice a difference in games except for ones that are hard on the CPU. At 4GHz or above, it should run any game for the next few years without bottlenecking the GPU.

Don't waste money on the 6 core chips, they are only useful if you do a lot of multitasking. Instead, save money by going with a 930, overclocking it to 4GHz, and spend the rest on a good graphics card, fancy SSD, or some games.

Remember you can overclock your graphics card as well, if you're going with the HD5970 you'll probably want to overclock them because they come underclocked (from the 5870 speeds) by default. You can again save money by not buying factory overclocked editions, ATi makes it simple to overclock graphics cards with ATi Overdrive, a software utility built into the graphics drivers that has sliders to control core and memory speeds as well as fan speeds. Depending on how far you want to go, you could probably push the stock ones above the factory overclock levels.

Thanks Calc, this reply was one of the most helpful, as it solved a lot of questions that i had.
Just one more thing - someone told me that 12gb ram for my rig is overkill, do you reckon i should try and get 6gb @ 1600Mhz? Or 6x@2000? Is there a significant performance/price difference between 1600 and 2000?

I don't think you'll have any issues with 1600, my RAM is 1600 but with my overclock it's running somewhere between 1700 and 1800 and seems to be stable. I don't think RAM speed has a large effect on performance from most reviews I've read and 2000 RAM is expensive for 2 sticks let alone 3.

Also I don't think 12GB is necessary right now, 6GB is plenty for gaming so unless you're doing large video editing or multitasking 12GB seems pointless.

In the end most gaming comes down to one thing, graphics. CPU and RAM need to be "enough" but beyond that the graphics are the one and only bottleneck as most games are entirely about awesome realistic graphics. Newer games are using CPU and RAM more for more advanced AI, better physics interactions, and larger multiplayer support but very few games fully utilize today's powerful multi-core systems. With OpenCL and similar utilities from nVidia (CUDA, PhysX), some games are even trying to push the physics calculations onto the GPU as well, so in the end the CPU doesn't do a whole lot in most games when compared to apps like rendering professional 3D and video editing.

A 920 with 1600 RAM is enough for modern games, but a 920 at 4GHz with slightly overclocked 1600 RAM should be enough for future games as well. That's why I recommend overclocking (as well as the multitasking benefits). If you don't want to overclock right away you can do it when it is needed, but increasing the clock alone should not degrade the chip (increasing the voltage while using a bad heatsink can though). To get 4GHz you'll need to increase the voltage a bit but a good heatsink should keep the temperatures within acceptable ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom