Hello everyone, lend me your opinions on my build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waynehead

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, I'm very glad I ran across this forum as I have learned many things in the short time i've spent reading here. I came for advise on a build I am doing and hope to become a regular as this is becoming my favorite hobby. Forgive me if I don't post my hardware in the proper fashion, I cant seem to find the thread with the layout I seen the other day.

Case: Xion AXP600
Motherboard: M4A79XTD EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955BE 125W
RAM: Look Below because this is my main need of advise as far as I know.
GPU: XFX Radeon HD5850 BE
PSU: CoolerMaster SilentPro 700W
HDD: WD Caviar Black 7200rpm 1tb

I would like advise on cooling as I would eventually like to overclock if for nothing else than to learn how. I also would like some advise on memory. I am wanting to start with 4 Gb's and eventually upgrade to 8. I am wondering if I would benefit more from running 1 4Gb stick right now and upgrading to 2 so I would be able to run at 1600 or start with 2x2Gb sticks and add two more down the road and run at 1066. The only reason I ask is because I recently read that AMD memory contorllers often benefit more from timing adjustments than with raising the clock. Any input would be very useful. And feel free to tell me any changes that you would make to my setup.

You don't need 8GB of RAM. I would get 2 x 2GB sticks so you can run them in dual channel.

I would look at this:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3P16004GK - Desktop Memory
or this:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBECO - Desktop Memory

The G Skill is nice because it's lower voltage and will save power and run cooler.

You'll need an optical drive (if you don't already have one.)

As far as cooling goes...that's really your preference and what will fit in your case. Thermalright, Xigmatech, Sunbeam, and Zalman are all good brands of coolers.

Everything else looks good.

Thanks for the input. After I posted this thread this morning I read somewhere that the AMD chips will never need 8 Gb so 4Gb it is. Ive got a few dvd roms lying around as it is, and will plan on adding a blueray combo drive later on. I am trying to do this with my Girlfriends approval and she doesnt understand me dropping $1400 on everything so I picked up the case last week under her radar, and last night I took some untraced money and bought a different motherboard than what I was looking at.
Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H (rev. 1.1)
It is alittle cheaper, and my plan is to take some other components I have that are white and build another computer for guests. I chose the board for its unlocking capability as I am planning on picking up a phenom II x2 for next to nothing and try to unlock it. Any other input would be good. I also would like some input on another PSU.
OCZ ModXtreme Pro 600W. I will never use more than one GPU and I only plan on a moderate overclock with air cooling on my secondary machine. Thanks again for any advice.

Corsair make great PSUs. I've also had good luck with Thermaltake and Antec PSUs. The Coolermaster I have now has been perfect for the 3 years I've had it.

ok I need one more piece of advise. I had to hold off ordering gpu for a week or two so I have the option to spend alittle bit more on graphics. Would I see a significant boost bumping up to 5870. Or maybe crossfire two 5770's. Or any other suggestions for 400 or less would be much appreciated.

A 5870 would be a nice choice. I would always go for a single card solution instead of CF two less powerful cards off the bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom