Heatsink installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amidamaru

In Runtime
I got a AMD Athlon X2 4800+ and i was installing the heatsink as it was my first time i wanted to align it as much as possible so i took about 3 attempts to straighten it out.. as this a 1 or 2 mm dots from the thermo paste was on the motherboard surely that wont make any difference will it?

might be a noobish question but was my first time :(

If there is only a little bit, get the strongest alcohol you have in the house (or rubbing alcohol for cleaning cuts) and a lint free cloth, just dab a bit of alcohol on the cloth and clean all the thermal paste off.

Sorry i didnt mean on the motherboard i mean let me re-explain:

I followed the instructions and wanted to ensure it was properly aligned.

So i put it on and off about 2-3 times to just check it was going on and wasn't too sure of how to put it in.

So, when i put on for the last time their were a few spaces on the heatsink where the thermal paste is already applied (only really tiny dots)

But suuurelly that wouldnt be a big problem... sorry wasn't specific enough all the thermal paste went on the processor section only

I think i may not be too bad as i kinda jiggiled around with it so i think i may have reproduced the same effect. I think i may try checking the temperature and if it does seem to be a problem - ill have to get some thermal paste or something as i dont have any.

(Don't know if yours came with thermal paste but mine was already on the heatsink)

You should have never taken it back off at all, That is a themal pad on there and its for one contact only.

Now you should clean the heatsink and processor with alcohol and get you some Arctic Silver 5 and goto that website and follow there instructions.

Bah... what will happen if i leave it? I think the first time i didnt really put it on but i know for certain it was on the second time as it was sticky.

If it would be a good idea to get some new thermal paste where is a easy location for me to get it eg. shops such as maplin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom