HDTVs- Difference between DLP and Plasma i love u all

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwnographer

Solid State Member
Hi guys, as you know HDTV's are now becoming standard and I will be purchasing one in the next few months.

I wanted to know what the differences between DLP and Plasma HDTVs are. DLP HDTV's are significantly cheaper and seem to look as good as some plasmas. Why are they cheaper and what might be a wise decision for the future assuming I'm not made of money (budgeting 3k at most for one). I'd like to get a 50", 58" or 61" TV.

I have placed this here so it get exposure. I have posted it under New Technologies and Services but no one has replied. I can't post it in off topic because I don't have 40 posts yet. Please don't move this
:)

well as you know Plasma tv's are flat-panel while DLP are big screen(projection)to sleepy will xplain tomorow

DLP is cheaper than plasma?

around here it's the opposite.

anyhow,
difference.

plasma uses flourencent pixes that allow electric pulses to emit their light (controlled by software)

dlp uses over a million micro-mirrors - i believe around the size of a fibrer optic core?
a very expensive lamp will shine it's light though a colour wheel to a DMD chip that will then turn it's mirrors on and off...producing the image.

i've watched a 50'' RCA Scenium DLP HDTV for the past 4 years now and i still don't see a plasma that i would switch it for.
only downside is the lamp will burn out...but that is like 20 000 hours of tv....only costs 300cnd to replace.

new technology dlp will have 3 DMD chips :drool:

dlp's are usually at least a foot deep at the base and can not be mounted to a wall. plasmas on the other hand are flat and can be. plasma relies on tiny pockets of gas (plasma) that change color when hit with energy/electrons. dlp has an extremely bright light in the back/bottom part with a 7 color wheel that spins at ~14000 rpm. the screen is made of millions of tiny reflectors that can be turned on and off very quickly. if there should be green in a specific region of the screen, the reflectors click on when the green part of the color wheel is in front of the light and so on to create a picture.

it really depends on what you want to use it for. DLP's will never get an image burnt into it. plasmas will if you leave a picture on it for too long. i went w/ dlp because i use it as a second monitor. its fun when ppl want to watch a game w/o looking over your sholder.

if something goes wrong w/ a dlp, 99% of the time it is your light bulb in the back or the fixture for the light bulb, both of which are covered by the warentee.

both of them, plasma and dlp, are known for decreasing in brightness after like 2 years of use. w/a dlp and extended warentee, u can get the bulb replaced. w/ a plasma, there is nothing you can do because it is a result of the plasma pockets becoming less reactive to the energy.

I recommend a DLP if you want to stick w/ a tv for more than 2 years, want to pay at least 25% less, and plan on leaving a dvd on pause for any amount of time or use it as a computer monitor (i have even heard of ppl leaving their tv on a station like fox news or cnn and the emblems/ticker around the edges get burnt in!)

i got a 6th generation samsung DLP when the 7th came out and got it for about 60% off. there really is no difference in tv performance, most of the difference was in the outter design (the new ones looked slimmer)

i think you know what my recommendation is ;)

this is so important, it gets its own post:

ONLY BUY A 1080p/768i HDTV!!!!!!

DO NOT GET TRICKED INTO BUYING A 786p/1080i HDTV!!!!

that is all

cwiz said:
this is so important, it gets its own post:

ONLY BUY A 1080p/768i HDTV!!!!!!

DO NOT GET TRICKED INTO BUYING A 786p/1080i HDTV!!!!

that is all

Good call.

LCD is also an option. Wall mountable, cheaper than plasma, 1080p (as there are no 1080p plasmas yet).

The General said:
Good call.

LCD is also an option. Wall mountable, cheaper than plasma, 1080p (as there are no 1080p plasmas yet).

dont mean to contradict the general, but they do make 1080p plasmas... they just cost like $6-10k instead of $1.5-3k

here's one

yes panasonic has had a 1080p plasma for like 4 months and plasma tv's don't use plasma they use phosphorous gas, LCD's are better because they are not prone to burn in however new plasmas don't really get burn in that much anymore 1080p is what you want your new tv to be, although toshiba has released XHD tvs but dlp weighs a $*** load and can't be wall mounted but neither can Panasonics 103" plasam but I aint complaining

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom