HDMI Videocards HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MackAttack

In Runtime
soooooooo I've realized I want to get a Samsung 23" LCD HDTV....and use it as my computer screen...but I figured since it has HDMI and VGAplugs...I should use the HDMI plug and try and get a HDMI videocard......does anyone know if it'd be worth getting a HDMI video card??....such as maybe the EVGA 7600..I think it is...even tho thats kinda a not so high end card...orr the ATI x1950.....which is sorta expensive for me but would be SWEEET.

any thoughts and help on this would be awesome!

thanks

Not really worth it for a 23" screen I personally think anything larger then 32" and its worth using dvi plugs come with adapters which allow you to make them into vga so go with a normal dvi compatible card and read some reviews to find out wether you have to buy the adapter seperately.

Matt

i think u mean dvi video card, i havent seen a video card w/ a hdmi slot before. u would need to get a dvi->hdmi cable. when i use the dvi->hdmi cable on my 50" hdtv it is slightly misformatted (the desktop is slightly larger than the screen), come to find out i have a vga port on the back of my tv for a computer hookup, it formats correctly on that plug. i basicly wasted ~$40

thats true cwiz, but i thought when you hook up a computer to the tv via the vga port it only allows for like 1280x960 or something like that?

HDMI is exactly the same as DVI, just a different plug. It's encrypted too...

Just plug in with DVI.

ThirdLeft152 said:
thats true cwiz, but i thought when you hook up a computer to the tv via the vga port it only allows for like 1280x960 or something like that?

VGA supports whatever resolution you want up to 2048x1536.

ThirdLeft152 said:

Should be able to get at least that with vga. HDMI is just a DVI with audio integrated. DVI is better than vga, but something with drivers mess it up, as its not the same standards, so you're forced to use vga. Check the native resolution of your HDTV, and try for that. 1280x960 is fairly large for tv resolution. A typical 16x9 - 720p capable tv runs @ 1366x768.

If you havent bought that tv yet, I'd advise you just to get a monitor, which can display a higher resolution, and probably better refresh rates. You can buy a internal or external tv tuner, and basically have a free tivo. Tv's in general don't perform as well as monitors.

If you go with an ati video card, use this along with component cables, if the tv doesn't have a vga input.

http://www.svideo.com/hdtvaiwr8500.html

The General said:
HDMI is exactly the same as DVI, just a different plug. It's encrypted too...

Just plug in with DVI.

VGA supports whatever resolution you want up to 2048x1536.

HDMI has audio as well as video, DVI is strictly video.

regaurdless of DVI->HDMI or DVI->VGA, the tv/gfx card will display at the tv's resolution. i.e. 640x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080

read your manual well! (as i wish i had) as i stated before, when i use the hdmi port for computer display, it is slightly misformatted, hardly noticable to the those who watch me game (i game on my 20.1" and if some1 wants to watch i put it up on the big boy, the latency is not very good on DLP's)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom