HDD to Tv - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Web Programmer

Default HDD to Tv

is there ANY way possible for me to play the contents of an external harddrive straight onto TV? would it need an OS? a video card? some form of aerial connnections?

without of course the help of Apple TV or any other similar things.

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: HDD to Tv

You need to buy an external harddrive player with various video output ports such as the standard tv av, computer analog. I have seen them for myself. Actually, in fact, all you need is just an external harddrive case where you can insert the individual harddrives in yourself without the extra cost.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Web Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
You need to buy an external harddrive player with various video output ports such as the standard tv av, computer analog. I have seen them for myself. Actually, in fact, all you need is just an external harddrive case where you can insert the individual harddrives in yourself without the extra cost.
yeah thats what im talking about. how would i then connect the external hard drive to a TV? the harddrive would just have the movie file, so there wouldnt be any codecs or anything.

also if you could link to one of those hard drive players, please do.

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

The one that I have seen on a local store is a plug and play harddrive player. All the user need to do is just by connecting the supplied cable(I dont know if yours were) from the harddrive player to the tv port. Then by pressing on and navigate through the bottons(onscreen should show) where you can select your file to playback.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Web Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
The one that I have seen on a local store is a plug and play harddrive player. All the user need to do is just by connecting the supplied cable(I dont know if yours were) from the harddrive player to the tv port. Then by pressing on and navigate through the bottons(onscreen should show) where you can select your file to playback.
ahh i see. so there ARE cheaper alternatives to the Apple TV. ive just had a look myself and found some good players which allow you to play files from any computer on a network on TV. cheers

Web Developer Portfolio
Closed Thread