HDD situation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

psp_crazy1

Daemon Poster
ok... i am thinking about doing another update this summer

im going to get

PSU - the xcilo 500
RAM - another gig of corsair, dont worry, this xmas ill get gskill, plus im only gona run this at 350mhz fsb
HDD(s)
Sound card - other thread...

my problem is, on Quake 4 (ultra settings, 1024x768, 6x aa, 16x af) runs good, at the peak fps (60, i forget the command to turn vsnyc off >.>) it took literally 5 minutes to load where he gets taken by the people, then they take off his legs ect.

I noticed that my hard drive isn't been doing the best lately, but ive only had it for a year. so my question is

should I use this as storage, and get a seagate for os and games, orr

get another of mine and RAID 0...

any help would be good...

You can either get a Seagate 7200.10 hard drive, and use your current as storage. Or get another, like you said, for RAID 0. Just remember if you're doing that, to backup the files on the hard drives, that are in RAID 0. The faster of the two options, would obviously be the RAID 0. It's just a matter if, you don't mind taking the risk, if one hard drive goes down, and you lose data in both hard drives.

nice upgrade plans.... but RAID 0 is good.... seems silly to worry about the Hard Drive to fail, i mean i have 512mb hard drive that still works........... and its been in constant use on my parents' Pentium 1 system......

Yea...I've never had a hard drive failure either, but the thing is you never know. So backup is a must.

Second the hard drive backup, isn't norton ghost good for that sort of thing? Anyway, there are programs that create an entire 'ghost' of your hard drives settings files etc, if you have any real doubts about losing your hard drive then look into that. Never put out the idea of mirror raids also, so, you can buy two 7200rpm drives and mirror them. I also believe that name isn't exactly all there is to a hard drive, of course if you want blazing speed, you can always get the seagate barracuda drive at 10,000rpms!

****, I won my golf match today, but my dad said i have to keep my earnings (40 bucks) for a golf club he wants me to buy for him >.>

so im gona go for the raid. Right now though, I'm saving up for the PSU. Then I'll go for the extra RAM (lets hope for another few dollar price drop :D, its only 40 though), then the sound card, and then the raid, since it isn't really a high priority, and I dont feel like backing up again, I just did to 15 gigs of music, to find out one of the cds got scratched to the point where it didn't work, and i tried reviving it with o&o but i forgot to set up another partition so i could put the files on there, looks like ill have to do that w/ gparted later :/

Yea...I've never had a hard drive failure either, but the thing is you never know. So backup is a must.

Ive had quite a few HDDs fail at my work, but they are about 10-15 years old, haha, seriously.

If you can get two raid drives for the OS and games, and another one for data, thats what i have. My raid drives have been going for 2 years without one problem.

Ive had quite a few HDDs fail at my work, but they are about 10-15 years old, haha, seriously.

If you can get two raid drives for the OS and games, and another one for data, thats what i have. My raid drives have been going for 2 years without one problem.

I can get my drive for 60 bucks w/ shipping on newegg, so ill have 400gb of storage, then get a seagate 80gig drive... maybe a 160...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom