HDD Full

Status
Not open for further replies.

zythyl

In Runtime
So, my D: drive is where I keep all my non-windows OS stuff like videos, games, programs, music, etc.

It's 1TB and now it's almost full. I am planning on buying a 2TB HDD from WD (probably a Caviar black or something), but I have no clue how to transfer all my data from the D: drive on to this new HDD. Is there a program to do this for me or do I have to reformat?

Also, will my program / game assosciations like registry information be broken if I transfer all the data to a new HDD?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Would the most effecient way of doing this be: keeping all my progs / games on my 1TB (which equates to about 100GB of data), then purchase a 2TB and put all my personal files on that (which equates to about 720GB), leaving my 300GB HDD for the Windows OS?

It's 1TB and now it's almost full.
Um, Wow :D

I am planning on buying a 2TB HDD
Probably a good idea ;)

Is there a program to do this for me or do I have to reformat?
? Are you saying that you are happy to format, and lose all your stuff? I'm unsure what you mean by this(?)

Also, will my program / game assosciations like registry information be broken if I transfer all the data to a new HDD?
Yes, some games look for your game data in their prescibed folders, therefore your saved game data may not exist when you play your game next

"Programs" should never be moved
You are best to uninstall the program and re-install it again

EDIT:
Would the most effecient way of doing this be: keeping all my progs / games on my 1TB (which equates to about 100GB of data), then purchase a 2TB and put all my personal files on that (which equates to about 720GB), leaving my 300GB HDD for the Windows OS?
I think that would be best for the moment, until you get all your programs and data safe
I would plug in the new 3rd Hard Drive and start copying over what you want to put on the new drive
Then once confirmed the data is ok, start removing it from the old drive (note this may include uninstall of programs)

Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify: I now plan on having three HDD's: one for the OS, one for installd games / apps, and the other for vids, music, pics, etc. (I concluded this would be probably the most efficient thing to do).

And what I meant by reformatting was, last time I installed a new HDD, I had to reformat for some reason (can't remember why) - and was wondering whether I'd have to do this again. But now I know all I'm doing is transfering all my non-registry-linked files (music, work files etc) to the new 2TB.

Yes you may need to format the new drive
You can do this is Disk Management in Control Panel>Administrative Tools

format the new drive

copy all of the data from the old to the new (do this by enabling the showing of hidden/system files)

shut down

remove old hdd, hook up new one the same way the old one was hooked upo

reboot

go into disk management and make sure the drive letter is now the same as it was before (if necessary)

you may need to do this from a different computer since sometimes windows has a fit about copying files in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom