HD HTPC....possible yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

synergy

Fully Optimized
I just got a HTPC case (NewEgg's shell shocker the other day, link) and am planning a media PC. However, I want this HTPC to be HD (Blu-Ray) capable. I know HD video is possible...that's no sweat.

I've found one card that will supposedly take video and HD audio and pass it through a single HDMI output, but it seems to be getting delayed again and again. Does anyone know of any other devices or ways of getting full HD audio (DTS-HD and/or Dolby TrueHD) and video through the PC?

Also, what do you think the requirements would be for smooth Blu-Ray playback?

The 7600gt and 9600gt are the nvidia options I am not sure if they have on die audo encoding but ATi definately do with the Hd3470 providing an adapter is used and you have to do some funky driver setup. 1080p play back should be fine with over 1.6ghz processor and 1 gb of ram in xp so not overly difficult to attain.

The 8500GT i have passes through audio and even has hdmi out. Almost all cards have audio pass through these days.

But that ATI card is just video right? There are no audio capabilities with it?

That ati card has a built in audio decoder you just have to use their dvi-hdmi adapter to use it simple as. KustomPCs.co.uk - Premier HDMI Female to DVI Male Adapter http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/productfiles/Catalogue_HDMI_Sound_output.pdf

The 8500GT i have passes through audio and even has hdmi out. Almost all cards have audio pass through these days.
Quite true but this normally depends on you having a soundcardand it can be hard to get them in sync with video takes some messy calibration work sometimes. I would go with the ati option its all on die and should work flawlessly.

So you mentioned that an adapter is needed and that the driver setup is "funky". Is there a simple solution that will be seamless with Vista?
So does that 8500 carry full HD (vid and sound) to a receiver?

So you mentioned that an adapter is needed and that the driver setup is "funky". Is there a simple solution that will be seamless with Vista?

So does that 8500 carry full HD (vid and sound) to a receiver?

stupid edit button.

I honestly couldnt tell you. I run the digital output from the motherboard straight to the reciever and hdmi out to the tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom