HD Failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meefle

In Runtime
What are some signs of a failing HD? I think my HD is failin or my mobo just sucks. Every once in a while my comp will just crash, restart then say "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" and the first screen durin startup and BIOS dont read my HD. My comp recently crashed when i was doin a disk cleanup. Sometimes it will read my HD too. Is this a mobo problem or HD problem?

Yeah I've had problems similar to that. Make sure there isn't any master/slave conflicts on either IDE channels. I have my DVD drives on the secondary channel, and my hard drive on the primary. When I first put in my second drive, the DVD drives were fighting with each other for master, but it ended up crashing my system a lot. So I just made the second drive the slave, and worked perfectly. That's where I would start.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I would go to your hard drive manufacturer's website, and find a hard drive diagnostics utility and see if it comes up with any errors.

Well this HD is about 2 or 3 years old maybe. i bought it awhile back for my old gateway (200MHz P2, 64MB RAM lol). I have the connectors all right i checked that over. I've had to reformat alot, problems between mobo, video card, and maybe HD. I used Maxblast (or something like that, got it from john3 when i couldnt install windows) to reformat and it seemed to work good, i had my comp runnin good (with a couple programs not workin) for two or three months then i fixed all the problems and it worked for about a week then just got ****ed up. I'm savin for a DFI lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D, Opty 144, and a X1800GTO and probably a new HD.

lol well the 750GB is an overkill for me..... big time. I cant even fill 20Gb on this HD. I'll probably get the 10,000RPM 36.7GB Western Digital HD for like $102 and use my 80GB as the slave. I dont think its my PSU or my memory either.. it had the same problems with my old PSU and i've tried multiple memory sticks too. I kno my video card and mobo have problems together but idk y my HD is undetected sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom