Have anyone installed a PS3 processor into their computer? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Over and Above Person

Send a message via MSN to Ric0h
Default Have anyone installed a PS3 processor into their computer?

1. This should be possible, has anyone tried it? (and if you buy the ps3 and get the processor it should be hella cheap.)

2. Has anyone used CRAZY GLUE on their computer? I have the fan speed cables all around the case, So I figured those can be easily pasted with crazy glue.

3. Is it possible to put plastic covers on some of the motherboard parts? or wherever possible? (To keep the motherboard clean)

4. Whats the chance of getting your motherboard, or some other component non-working because of static damage? (has that happened to anyone here?)

5. Biggest error you have done to your computer?

WD 640 and 22x DVD burner
Old 06-16-2008, 05:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: Have anyone installed a PS3 processor into their computer?

I don't understand the point of this... You asked 5 different questions that had absolutely nothing to do with eachother. I'll answer them as best I can though.

1) Isn't the PS3 a completely different socket? Its a totally different architecture too and no motherboard would support it. It's like putting an AMD processor in an Intel mobo.

2) I don't understand. Cables pasted to what? Are you asking if you could glue them down for wire management? If so, thats a bad idea because if you ever want to take your computer apart, you're gonna have to rip those off. Just get some zip ties.

3) I don't know why you would want to do this. Most cases come with fan filters now and even if they don't, its easy to just take a little can of compressed air and spray your parts to clean them. I've never had to do this and I've had my current rig for over a year.

4) It's pretty rare. It probably will not happen unless you're really dumb about it... i.e. wearing some nice wool socks on your carpet and sliding all over the carpet while you're working on your computer. Just don't be a jack*** and you will be fine.

5) Thought up a bad setup for my wire management? That's easily fixed though. It's not that hard to do everything right.

Although those were some really random questions, I hope I gave you the answers you were looking for.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric0h View Post
1. This should be possible, has anyone tried it? (and if you buy the ps3 and get the processor it should be hella cheap.)

2. Has anyone used CRAZY GLUE on their computer? I have the fan speed cables all around the case, So I figured those can be easily pasted with crazy glue.

3. Is it possible to put plastic covers on some of the motherboard parts? or wherever possible? (To keep the motherboard clean)

4. Whats the chance of getting your motherboard, or some other component non-working because of static damage? (has that happened to anyone here?)

1. No, cell is made for the PS3. You would have to use other parts from the PS3 and by the time you were finished you would have........a PS3..........in a different box.

2. Ummmm no. Just no.

3. See #2.

4. Never happened to me, and I don't really honestly ever think about it.

5. First build I applied too much thermal paste. That is about it though.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

1. Theres no way that you can fit a PS3 CPU in a normal mobo available to End-Users

2. thats crazy...

3. not smart at all...

4. very unlikely unless you live in a place where you get statically shocked by friends or family a lot

5. Ever using a Pentium 4 Build
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
I feel funny...

Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

your answer to #2
Organizer Cable Cradle Clip, Keeping your cables untangled, -cg -Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com
Old 06-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Over and Above Person

Send a message via MSN to Ric0h

Thanks for the link, just what I needed.
WD 640 and 22x DVD burner
Old 06-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

most important... the cell processor does not support x86 instructions.. therefor.. wouldn't work with windows
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 06-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992
LOL

Mine's the same... :|
Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
lol i found that funny

also nosboost thats a good point, didnt even think about that until u said it. my guess is the ps3 cell is actually soldered to the motherboard and no a removable socket type like a PC.

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito
r

Old 06-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric0h View Post

1. PS3's are great but I m too broke to still buy one, so no. Besides my IQ is over 10 so I know better.

2. By all means go about super gluing wire together. Just make sure to send me the pictures when the glue melts and gets all over your mobo and GPU.

3. Why of all things would you want to put a plastic cover over it? For Gods sake isn't that what the Case is for?

4. So long as your not playing around with socks, wool, and a dry carpet. Then you really have nothing to fear.

5. It would have to be having a Celeron.

Closed Thread