Hauppage TV tuner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

globalkiwi

Baseband Member
I'm thinking about putting a Hauppage WinTV-HVR-1850 TV tuner
Newegg.com - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850 MC Board Only - White Box (Updated version of 1800 WB) 1129 PCI-Express x1 Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices
in my build (running Windows7 64 bit) but I really don't know anything about these - or TV cards in general.

Does anyone have any experience with these cards? Is there another Hauppage card that might work better? My local cable provider is Time Warner & I don't know whether they broadcast QAM channels or not.

I think that's the same one I had. The software that comes with it is horrible, but it works with Windows Media Center. I'd consider getting an HD one, though. Unless you have digital television, the quality isn't all that great.

TV Tuners are a pain to get what you want.. so most ppl don't use them.. I have for years.. just read over the specs and see if thats what you are looking for.. it's combo'ed with win 7 so thats a good sign..

to get it running with your digital box is quite involved and your cable company will be little help and so will the tuner manufacturer.. once you buy the Tuner your SOL.. horrable business that part is..

you will be able to watch Analog cable only untill you buy a special IR switcher and thats if that card will even use one.. the only HD that the Tuner cards get is the "Over the Air ways".. free with rabbit ear antenna's.. you get a good antenna you could get a few stations.. besides your analog cable..

im running one that first card you mentioned with digital cable, but dont go through a box. goes straight from the wall into the card. it works fine with vista media center and media center has a guide built in so you can browse through programs. i dont record/use dvr type of functionality.

overall if you want to watch tv on the pc its a solid card, quality is okay. the card works as described and i haven't had any issues with it. i dont use the software that is included int he card, just vista media center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom