Has anyone done a good GFX FAQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafydd_brown

Baseband Member
I'm doing some investigating about getting a new graphics card and was wondering if there were any good guides that anyone might know about?
I have to say that the last card I bought was a Radeon 9800 pro and I'm wondering whether it would be worth spending about £100/$180 to upgrade.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Okay I just found
"GUIDE: How to buy/what to look for when buying a computer or new part." which I actually read about three weeks ago when I was wasting time in work... much like now.
Nevermind then!
Still it would be nice to know if anyone thinks I could buy a card for about £100/$180 that would get me anywhere near max settings for Half-life 2. I'm sure my CPU will start to become a problem soon though.

Unfortunately I've got AGP and seeing as though I will need to buy a new motherboard when I upgrade my CPU (it's socket 754 AMD 64 3200) I'll then be stuck if I buy an AGP graphics card now... if you follow.
I really need to check out my PSU... I had a shiny new one but did something stupid (I won't go into details to save my own embarrassment) and have had to go back to using the one that came with a case I bought about four years ago... I also know I could get a new decent one for very little money comparable to all of the other bits and pieces I want. But then "if it ain't broke" etc...
I know I'll probably have to hold off with a grpahics card purchase until I've got a new mobo and CPU so I can get PCI-E... that's probably best right?
At least I've got a gig of RAM now... so that's out of the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom