Hardware compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisX

Baseband Member
I finally decided to quit buying pre-built pos PC's and build my own from scratch. I know quite a bit about hardware but i dont want to chance buy hardware that will conflict. So far here is what ive decided to get:

CPU --- INTEL PENTIUM D 820 2.8GHZ EM64T DUAL CORE W/1MB X 2 CACHE 800MHZ LGA775-PIN -- BX80551PG2800FN (might overclock this)

HDD --- WESTERN DIGITAL HARD DRIVE 160GB ATA/100 RAID 7200RPM 8MB-BUFFER 8.9MS 3.5IN INTERNAL, PC/MAC - CAVIAR RE SERIES -- WD1600SB (2 for RAID)

RAID Card --- USB 2.0 1394 Ultra ATA 133 RAID Combo PCI Card -- JU-NNBR11

RAM --- PC2-4200 Corsair -- VS2GBKIT533D2 (2x1GB)

VC --- Sapphire ATI Radeon X1600Pro 256MB DVI/VGA/TV-out PCI-Express Video Card -- 100144 (I'm going to get 2 for crossfire)

I havent picked out any optical drives yet because i'm sure theyre mostly all compatable.

I've looked a alot of mobos and havent picked one out yet because i'm not sure which which ones will support the Raid.

I'll be runing all of this on Windows 2000, i've had enough of xp's ****.
--
Any confirmations of compatability, suggestions of mobos or suggestions on better hardware will be appreciated. Thank You.

ok
instead
go for

AMD x2 3800+
keep the hdd's
get a good quality mobo like the dfi lanparty nf4 sli-d
that already has onboard raid
go for 2 gigs of pc3200 ocz gold
and for the gfx get a 7800gt or a 6800gs if money is tight

Whoa, where to start.

First off, bad choice on the CPU, if your looking for dual core, your going for an AMD x2 series, they blow intel away in every test, even their lower end CPU blows away Intels highest priced processor.

This means your going to have to get a different motherboard, if you are going t overclock, and go with two graphics cards, first off I recommend:
You go with Nvidia's SLI system, they currently have theb est cards on the market.
You get ddr400 ram, pc3200.
The motherboard you should choose is an ASUS SLI board.

A few other pointers, graphics card brands, evga, leadtek, msi, bfg, those ones. Your hard drive should be SATA and you should get seagate brand, they have good warranties and they are a really good brand. If your overclocking, you might want to go with some OCZ or g.skill ram.

I'll leave it up to you on what parts you want to pick out from here.

Most motherboards have a RAID controller onboard.
Don't even think about overclocking the Pentium D - Way too hot
You are better of buying a single card and replacing it rather than buying two for crossfire.

The crossfire motherboards aren't that good as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom