Harddrive Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

massacreinfallx

Fully Optimized
Okay so i just got a new laptop, It only has 60GB of storage space so i was thinking of buying an external hard drive to keep at my desk. My question is, the Laptop only supports IDE Hard drives and not sata, Would i get any benefit out of buying a sata hard drive and sata enclosure when its going to be connected to my pc via usb 2.0?

i was thinking sata is faster than usb so therefor it would just be a waste of money when the usb would just be bottlenecking my performance right

should i just but a regular ATA hard drive and enclosure?

nitestick said:
no, hence the reasoning behind my answer :D. whichever is cheaper or convenient
lol alright.

just wondering, but is the reasoning behind your answer that the USB can only go so fast and that eitherway the maximum speed can be achieved with either sata and pata?

It's the mechanical limitations of drives that limit their speed. You can have as large a connection you want, but the drive will only spin so fast.

You might as well get an external enclosure that is sata, It isnt anymore expensive and would work in your comptuer of for some reason you needed it. (desktop)

Ya, but it depends. If you have for instance a ds3 motherboard there is only 1 ide controller and that is occupied by the rom drives. But there are 6 sata connections. I just think that if it really doesn't matter because it will be using usb not any standard hdd interface. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom