HARD - Run two power supplies - one system

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexcomp

Solid State Member
I'm actually already doing it. What I want to know is how to control the second supply....

I ran into trouble when I added additional WDC raptor drives to my system drive Raid 0. Went to four drives from two and that seemed to be the straw that broke the camel's back. Began to receive power crashes.

So I built an external enclosure from drive cages I had laying around in my computer shop, installled the four drives with a new ATX 350 watt, set them alongside my full tower and guess what? It works fine - no more power problems - (I'm writing this ain't I?).

I know some may say "buy a bigger power supply" but I'm already at 550 or 600 and an 800 watt power supply won't be cheap. Besides, this was fun.

I must manually turn on and off with the power supply toggle - I permanently engaged the ATX with a jumper clip into the atx connector, (same one you jump to determine if a ps is alive).

I'd like to have it come on auto when the system is turned on, turn off auto and stand by auto. I'm assuming this would require a signal to be scavenged from the mobo to primary power supply if it's possible at all.

Any help available?

The best way is just to put a switch to bridge PSU_ON and GND, instead of a hard wire.

OR

Speedy 3D just that one page, the next page is an alternative

so three ways to solve the problem

the relay

I like the relay idea. The speedy 3d illustration shows two supplies, the first bridged like I currently have my second supply. My first supply is controlled by the mobo so not quite the same but I'm assuming that's not an issue.

I can see how on and off should work fine....

How about stand by and resume from stand by? Shouldn't be a problem, should it?

I don't quite get the "The best way is just to put a switch to bridge PSU_ON and GND, instead of a hard wire."

Can you amplify on that a little bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom