Hard Drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2006, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Hard Drives

So I've got an internal rack and the drive that i planned to put into it died (lest i got to pull it a part ),

so i need a new one to put into it, the drive will be used for ghost images(any better?) and maybe game images.

will the drive cache be important (2mb or 8mb) and which brand Seagate, WD, Samsung.

Opteron 165 @ 2.2
DFI Lanparty nF4 Ultra-D
Leadtek 7800gt
1 Gb OCZ premier @ 200mhz
Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

cache does not make a huge difference but for the minimal price difference between 2mb and 8mb cache models i would reccomend the 8mb models. my personal choice is WD but Seagate are also great quality drives.

Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to ulater6000 Send a message via Yahoo to ulater6000

I liked WD, until I tried Maxtor. I find maxtor to have great service, and good qaulity. I dont have anything against WD, but I just like Maxtor better.

As far as cache goes. More will give you a little more performance but not much more performane to make it worth the extra $$$. So only pay more for more cache if it is only a small price difference.
CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Cisco CCENT, Cisco CCNA Routing & Switching
Old 05-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Seagate, WD, and Samsung are all trusted brands when it comes to hard drives so you can't go wrong with one of these. 8MB cache is pretty much standard these days, so forget about 2MB. The more cache you have in your hard drive, the faster it will be.
Julien aka julz

<a href=\"http://www.build-gaming-computers.com\">How to Build Gaming Computers</a>
Old 05-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

WD Caviar and Seagate Barracuda are great HDs.
Closed Thread