Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:
I could go on but it appears it won't make sense to you.

Actually, I do, and if you had mentioned your reason for all that extra space in your initial post, I wouldn't of said anything. So don't make assumptions regarding my intelligence. I got 10 years on you boy!

Start respecting me, and I'll respect you (if not your posts).

By the way you did not read that he was planning on using the 2 drives in a raid array making it an effective 1.5tb.

Wait, let's see if I got this straight:

Basically RAID involves combining two or more drives together. Now, Nick said
I ordered two 1.5 TB HDs with the original intention of using them in Raid 1.
...so that's 3TB. Then, he said
I am seriously considering buying four 750-1TB hard drives and using them in raid 5.
That's 4TB (for 1TB drives).

That's actually 7TB. Wow Nick. How big (file size) is just one of your photos?

Actually, I do, and if you had mentioned your reason for all that extra space in your initial post, I wouldn't of said anything. So don't make assumptions regarding my intelligence. I got 10 years on you boy!

Start respecting me, and I'll respect you (if not your posts).

Basically RAID involves combining two or more drives together. Now, Nick said ...so that's 3TB. Then, he said That's 4TB (for 1TB drives).

I was getting ideas for a system and initially decided on two 1.5 drives in raid 1. I then changed it to four drives in raid 5 because it better serves my needs. As stated, I am not as tech savvy as a lot of people and needed the opinions. I DON'T NEED YOURS. (but then again, 7GB WOULD be nice!)

You made it sound like NO ONE needs that much space which is stupid.

I didn't realize I needed to justify my reasons for the extra space. :rolleyes:

10 years on me? I seriously doubt that...BOY.

But anyways 5-8gb per shoot I thought my wife went crazy with 3-4gb per shoot ;). I only have in the neighborhood of 300gb for family shots. For me it is the digital video that eats up my drive space.

We just began using digital video at our shop in Houston. Thankfully I am not involved in this storage or I would probably be on here asking about 20GB drives and really bothering someone!

I was getting ideas for a system and initially decided on two 1.5 drives in raid 1. I then changed it to four drives in raid 5 because it better serves my needs.

Ahh, so you first decide on two 1.5s, then changed it to four 1TB drives. See, you didn't say that in your initial post. You made it seem like you were getting all 6 drives.

Nick said:
You made it sound like NO ONE needs that much space which is stupid.

Most home users don't. My drive is 74.3GB, and even with all my stuff, it's only 16% full.

Nick said:
I didn't realize I needed to justify my reasons for the extra space. :rolleyes:

Well, you have to ask yourself: Are my fellow members gonna wonder why I need this much space.

Nick said:
10 years on me? I seriously doubt that...BOY.

Me, 39 (granted, I just turned 39)
You, 29

Anyway, I have no wish to anger you, and I shouldn't have called you boy. I ain't the most tech savvy either (which is why I like The Tech FAQ), but assuming something won't make sense to me is an insult to my intelligence, and I don't appreciate insults to my intelligence...and I'm sure you don't either.

Basically RAID involves combining two or more drives together. Now, Nick said ...so that's 3TB. Then, he said That's 4TB (for 1TB drives).

Please do a little more research before posting.

If you will look at your full post you will see the quote from Nick that we were discussing Raid1. There are many different types of Raid Arrays. Raid1 is mirrored drives where both drives contain the same information for data redundancy (1 drive could die and you would not loose data). So if you have 2 1tb drives you have an effective storage capability of 1tb.

For raid5 you have a minimum of 3 drives with redundancy spread throughout the disks so you loose 1 the size of 1 drive for redundancy. So if you have 3 1tb drives you get a effective storage capacity of 2tb.

If we were discussing raid0 or stripped arrays where you combine 2 drives into 1 larger drive your statement of 3tb would have been correct (not safe for data storage if one drive dies all data is lost).

I am still trying to figure out how 4 750gb drives would turn into a raid array of 7tb (if you could come up with one you would make a ton of money). If it was in raid0 it would be 3tb. You can further your knowledge with some wiki reading as well.

I think that he meant that he thought that Nick was going to use BOTH arrays

Array # 1 = (3tb) even though we know it was miscalculated.
+
Array # 2 = (4tb) with the raid5 array... even though that was miscalculated too. = 7tb

That and the $10,000 hard drive.. we seem to be on a rooooooollll with our math.

But yea, I think that this entire thread was a miscommunication.

Just in case more drama spawns up though, I'm going to go get more popcorn and soda...

Anyway, I have no wish to anger you, and I shouldn't have called you boy. I ain't the most tech savvy either (which is why I like The Tech FAQ), but assuming something won't make sense to me is an insult to my intelligence, and I don't appreciate insults to my intelligence...and I'm sure you don't either.

I am not 29 and if I said that it was an error on my part. Not a big deal either way as I don't mean any anger towards you either. Perhaps I wasn't as clear with my posts. I took a jab at you after feeling the same. I'll stop.

I am excited to finally put some money into a good system and after ordering two 1.5 GB hard drives, a lot of people (not just here) told me to think about getting four smaller drives for a raid 5 configuration INSTEAD of the original raid 1 idea. It makes more sense and still gives me the storage I need as my work fills up a lot of space so I am returning the 1.5 drives and purchasing the 750GB drives.

This is my final system (time to show off :D):

- Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM 700W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
- ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor
- Thermalright Ultra120 eXtreme-1366 RT Premium Heatpipe Cooler for Intel LGA1366
- OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
- Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive) (for the OS and main programs)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (x4 used in raid 5)
- LG Black 6X Blu-ray DVD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model GGC-H20L
- ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
- SABRENT CRW-UNIB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port supports SDHC/VISTA
- SILVERSTONE MFP51-B Multi-media system LCD display (just because!)
- Logitech Z-230 THX 2.1 speakers (amazing sound)
- Rocketfish Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard and Mouse (the absolute best mouse!)
- SAMSUNG TOC T240 Rose Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 20000:1(1000:1) (already owned)

I am sure by posting this someone will see something wrong! We plan to build it Saturday.

Wow nice. I just got your Samsung monitor and love it. Do not see a OS. I assume you are going with vista 64bit? What are you planning on using for Backup? I think the G5 is the best mouse but we all have our own opinions. Where is the water cooling setup? ;)

Now did you not hide the money from your wife for this? Isn't she going to say wtf when it all shows up.

Have fun and like Mike said the build party never stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom