Hard Drive setup For a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
I'm planning to buy a new high performance PC, so i was wondering what hard drive setup would be best. I plan to get about a 2TB capacity, so I thing going on RAID array of two 1TB drives. Any recommendations on configuration are welcomed. Also can u people recommeng me some HDD models to go for.

Thanks
-AndreiD

With a RAID 0 setup like that if 1 drive fails you lose the data on both drives, 2tb is a lot of data to be risking like that.

I would just grab a couple 1TB drives and use them individually, or if you want windows to see them as 1 volume you can arrange them as JBOD (just a bunch of disks)...so that they will display as a single volume but they won't be in RAID.

I recommend the Seagate 7200.12 drives as they use 2 platter 1TB drives which means they will run quieter, cooler, and have better transfer speeds.

However pretty much all the newer 1tb drives are really good...All the WD drives are great, and I think the Hitachi 7k1000.b drives are excellent bang/buck...higher platter density than samsung f1.

However, if I were buying new I'd probably grab the Seagate 7200.12

the idea is to earn speed as well.

Btw can i arrange raid 0 on two drives of 1TB each, and mirror them to 2TB drive?

modern 7200rpm drivespeed is pretty good...when working with large sets of data like that speed should be the least of your worries IMO.

and I'm not sure what you mean by mirroring raid 0 drives...if I understand you correctly you would need a total of 4TB in order to have RAID 0 performance in addition to redundancy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom