Hard Drive Schemes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have implemented the following:

WD RAPTOR 74GIG 10K RPM
Win Xp Pro & all system files (Photoshop, Window Blinds, media players, instant messengers, browsers... etc)

(2) Seagate barracudas 250GiG x 2 in RAID 0
Used only for media storage (Music, Movies, Photos, Documents)

(1) Seagate barracuda 250GiG
Used for all games * swapfile

HAVOC2k5 said:
I have implemented the following:

WD RAPTOR 74GIG 10K RPM
Win Xp Pro & all system files (Photoshop, Window Blinds, media players, instant messengers, browsers... etc)

(2) Seagate barracudas 250GiG x 2 in RAID 0
Used only for media storage (Music, Movies, Photos, Documents)

(1) Seagate barracuda 250GiG
Used for all games * swapfile

Interesting .. Why put the media storage drives in RAID 0? If anything I would put them in RAID 1 for extra protection. What sort of work do you do that requires faster access times to media? (not trying to criticise; I'm just curious. :D)

Well, I didn't configure RAID 0 really for performance. I just wanted 1 drive letter instead of 2.

And i'm not really worried about security with RAID 0 because I have all the important media files on DVD.

I work at a Indoor Tennis Facility and we do a lot of video work. It's basically training movies. Also we do 20min game analysis videos that have narration inserted later by our pro's for our members, which they have the option of purchasing. I also have all of the media files back up on your server at work and I have remote access to them, so my RAID array is basically temporary storage and an area I can directly work from. I use Cyberlink Power Director 5 & Adobe Premier mostly.

A lot of my work is done in the spring time with students that are going to college and want to play college tennis. It's a requirement that they have at least 30 minutes of specific strokes and game play on video.

That's it in a nut shell. I performance is actually pretty good in RAID 0. Real Time editting is much faster, for me anyway. I can actually scan through a clip very quickly with no pauses or lag at all. I'm not sure if this is the RAID 0 performance or just the fact that my PC is pretty decent. Anyway...

P.P. Mguire said:
Hmm im going to play tennis in February. THats cool that somebody else on this forum likes tennis.

Yeah, tennis is a great game. It's a bit expensive to play indoor though.

Actually the club that I work at is were "James Blake" Practices when he's in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom