Hard drive and Raid preformance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

De4dD0g

Beta member
I'm new to this forum, and I'm sure this has been asked in previous situations... Currently right now I have a single 7200RPM 1TB drive... Today I purchased another identical 7200RPM 1TB drive, same brand and everything. I placed the drives into raid together, and reloaded windows and now my PC. Is back running, it's hard to tell if it's actually recieving a preformance increase. Can anyone tell me a benchmark or a way to find out if it infact is?

I set up Raid 0

with 2

7200RPM 1tb harddrives

So you installed your RAID drivers and in Windows installation it recognized them as one disk and not two, correct?

Everest has a drive benchmark utility, that's what I use. Best way to see if you get a performance increase is to benchmark one drive before then again with the drives in RAID0.

Yep, I had one drive initially I bought another one, and when I set up raid, at first windows didn't even recongize the drives during the installation, I had to install "raid" drivers from a USB drive that way it would recongize it. Now once it did recongize the drives it said I had a 189,000GB hard drive when I really have 2 seperate drives... When It goes through my bios it says I have 2 raid drives in Raid 0, unfortunally I didn't ever clock my single drive.. So probaly wouldn't do me any good.

This is just a warning but be sure you have a proper backup of any important info on those drives. RAID 0 effectively doubles the chance of data loss since if anything happens to one drive you will end up losing all of the data on both drives.

The AS SSD benchmark is a good way to measure drive performance. Because if was designed for SSDs it can take a very long time to run on normal hard drives but IMO it still useful because it focuses on random read/write performance which is much more significant in terms of how responsive and fast your systems feels than sequential performance which most drive benchmarks measure.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/ssd-hdd-benchmark-thread-226468/

Not really much that's important to me.. It's just a gaming machine.. I thought Raid 0 would give me more preformance than it really did though. This test is taking forever to run as well.

Yep, I had one drive initially I bought another one, and when I set up raid, at first windows didn't even recongize the drives during the installation, I had to install "raid" drivers from a USB drive that way it would recongize it. Now once it did recongize the drives it said I had a 189,000GB hard drive when I really have 2 seperate drives... When It goes through my bios it says I have 2 raid drives in Raid 0, unfortunally I didn't ever clock my single drive.. So probaly wouldn't do me any good.

You have your RAID set up correctly. This is what you should be seeing. You won't notice a performance increase if you are bottlenecked by another piece of hardware.... What's your system?

Just for future refrence is it more worthwhile to just get a super fast 10,000RPM maybe 6gb SATA drive rather than messing with Raid?

It's almost never worth buying a 10,000RPM drive, they aren't that much faster than regular 7200rpm drives but cost a lot more. If you want performance a SSD for your OS and apps + a large 7200rpm drive for storing your games and data is the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom