Hard drive question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthIowa

Solid State Member
I have one 150 gb hard drive, serial ata150. It has a RAID connector, and I was wondering... do I have to have 2 drives to set up? If not, what do I do?

Thanks.

Yes, it takes two drives to create a RAID configuration. Not sure if there is info on here or not, but you might try a search on RAID for the different types.

If not, this should help you get going: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks

Just be aware.... one type of RAID gives you faster access times by writing a bit to one disk, then the other, so writes/reads are faster... but guess what happens if one drive fails? You guessed it, loss of data.

But it's all on the web to read about. Might want to Google "redundant array of independent drives".

HTH

turtile said:
You can have just one. Its called JBOD Raid but your motherboard/raid card must support it.
Are you sure about that? I thought JBOD stood for Just a Bunch Of Disks, combining several disks of different sizes into one larger virtual disk. It's sort of the reverse of partitioning.

WHY (how) would you want a single drive RAIDed?

I've done it on two computers. You don't build the array, you just install the RAID drivers before the OS setup and the drive will be detected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom