Hard drive popped and smoked... Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashedpumpkins

In Runtime
Alright guys. Here's my PC I discussed with everyone about a month ago.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/rate-my-pc-scale-1-10-comment-159462/

It's hot and almost ready to go. However when I turned on my PC my hard drive popped. When taking a close look I noticed it was the hard drive as it obviously smelt and had smoke. I'm not sure why it decided to die on me. It worked great this morning on my previous PC. It was plugged in with the IDE cable and the power came from a wire that adapted with the front fan. (Possibly my stupid mistake? However I thought it shouldn't matter) I unplugged the hard drive and fan. It turned on and sounded good. (The monitor wasn't plugged in) So far I think the hard drive is the only thing affected. Do you guys have any ideas on what might of happened?

I plan to go buy a Sata HD instead of IDE with 10,000 rpm this time. 250-500 gigs I don't care. Any recommendations? Let me know. I could use all the help I can get as I'm stumped!

Oh and one other thing. My power button LED light has 3 prongs however there are only 2 prongs on my motherboard for it. Not too sure why... I tried plugging it in anyways, but that didn't work. Any ideas on this too?

Thanks a ton guys!

there are no 10k RPM 250gb drives and up.. the max is 150gb.. but a great HD is a 7200.11 Seagates

IMO RaptorX's aren't worth it.. the 7200.11 perform almost as good with way more disk space and are way cheaper

Hmm alright. Do any local stores have these? When I search 7200.11 I don't see anything on Circuit Cities and Best Buys website.

ya its pretty new....i have not noticed them at target or bestbuy
they're pretty behind...especially target
why can't you order online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom