Hard Drive Failure? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to tommyboy123x
Default Hard Drive Failure?

I'm running vista and have a 150gb rapter, and a 200gb wd drive. They've been used heavily for the past 2 years but latelly i've been hearing the 200gb just stop spinning and start back up. My Computer confirms that the drive goes offline and is not accessible (at which point all kinds of applications say data is missing and i just restart).

so... time to buy a new drive or is it jsut a little hicup? The last time it did it was 2 weeks ago, but before that it was doing it ever few hours. Most of the time after about 10 minutes it starts back up again (enough files in the memory to satisfy programs like itunes i guess?) I have a lot of the files backed up but nonetheless i would lose a lot of data if it crashed (i.e. incomplete torrents, pictures of the last few months, game profiles, website files, etc).

Dollar Hauler [dot] Com :)
Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Hard Drive Failure?

get another HD and quick and copy the data, otherwise u lose a lot of valuable stuff... i can recommend one:

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

great GB per price ratio

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-30-2007, 11:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i'm quite partial to wd and figured while i'm at it might as well get rid of all my space problems and get a 500 if its only $30-40 more for like 2x as much data

so is the drive on the frits or just kind of messed up?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy123x View Post
i'm quite partial to wd and figured while i'm at it might as well get rid of all my space problems and get a 500 if its only $30-40 more for like 2x as much data

so is the drive on the frits or just kind of messed up?
it might be overheating... or its on the fritz
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

hm... my case is insanely cool so i dont think its that... i'll go pick up a new drive just in case and stress test this one see if it breaks :-)

thx

Closed Thread