Hard Drive buyers remorse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demented Avenger

Baseband Member
I built my dream machine and everything is very fast. (Still waiting for the correct retention clips for my CM V8 CPU cooler). Windows 7 scores everything on my machine a 7.4 except the hard drive which comes in at a 5.9. Here is what I currently have:

Newegg.com - Western Digital RE3 WD2502ABYS-01B7A0 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Should I just bite the bullet and go for the WD Black like I should have due to the $5.00 differance?

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

You guys think I will see much of a difference? I will not splurge on a raptor drive. I will wait till SSD's come down in price.

Everything is backed up to a 1.5T WD storage drive now so switching should be easy.

Thank you in advance,
DA

If you are satisfied with the speed of the computer, I wouldn't waste my money on the new hard drive. However, I have the 640GB 32mb cache version of that WD drive and it is very nice. If you are super worried about your w7 score, then have at it. But if you are happy, no worries.

If you are satisfied with the speed of the computer, I wouldn't waste my money on the new hard drive. However, I have the 640GB 32mb cache version of that WD drive and it is very nice. If you are super worried about your w7 score, then have at it. But if you are happy, no worries.

i have this same drive and I still only get 5.9 in w7 score :| so don't worry about it or waste your money unless you're in need of a new drive anyway

I get 5.9 with my raid 0...

I only ever see the benefit when I am loading a map in a multiplayer game and I beat my friends in loading time. But not by a lot. I did it for the space mostly.

So if your happy with your build just enjoy it, windows scores don't mean much.

Thank you to all who replied. For some reason, I re-ran the test and came out with a different score.

7.4 on everything but memory and Hard drive

7.7 memory
5.9 Hard drive

Thank you, I will save my money and maybe look into liquid cooling.Sounds like a fun challenge.

DA

I will save my money and maybe look into liquid cooling.Sounds like a fun challenge.
K.
If you are treating it as a challenge, that's good.
Just be aware that it's slightly expensive and not very practical.
I am glad I water cooled my computer for the challenge, but it's not like my CPU and GPU overclocks before and after water cooling changed amazingly, just a bit. And I was not expecting them to when I started anyways.
gl:thumbsup:

K.
If you are treating it as a challenge, that's good.
Just be aware that it's slightly expensive and not very practical.
I am glad I water cooled my computer for the challenge, but it's not like my CPU and GPU overclocks before and after water cooling changed amazingly, just a bit. And I was not expecting them to when I started anyways.
gl:thumbsup:

Well, as I wait for the 1366 retention clips for my Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler, I am using a stock Intel cooler on my I7 920 and have a temp of 48C, NB is 47C and SB is at 47C while surfing the net with Itunes playing. CPU gets into the mid 50's while playing COD MW2 all settings maxed out.
I am not sure I am comfortable with the CPU temps. Not sure where the NB & SB temps should be at optimally. Once my V8 is in place the CPU temps should go down at least 10 or 12 C. Will WC be any better? BTW, I am not overclocking anything but my GPU at the moment but that has it's own set of utilities, warnings and such.

BTW, I am using a Antec HAF 922 with stock fans. 1 200mm intake and 1 200mm blowhole fan. 1 120mm exhaust on the rear. Mobo runs at 30C all the time.

Not sure if this build qualifies for WCing, what do you think?

Thanks,
DA

i7 920 benefits at least as much as the q6600 does with water cooling, I would say more. After having started out with a cpu only loop and then going to a cpu and gpu loop.... I recommend starting with both.

What gpu do you have btw? If it's a 5 series or some other card with software voltage modding you should have some fun with a watercooled gpu.
I see your case has holes pre made for a radiator to be mounted externally.

You could do it for sure. If you have the time and money to spend on it then you are likely to get some benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom