GX/GXE/GXB/GX XE... which one? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default GX/GXE/GXB/GX XE... which one?

What is the difference between motherboard names with GX, GXE, GXB, GX XE, etc. ?

I have been searching online for the answer, but I just can't seem to find it. I'm trying to find an AMD motherboard to support my current AM2+ cpu and support/upgrade my future AM3 cpu overclocks. Also, any brand names I should look for? currently looking at Biostar, Gigabyte, and ASUS mainly because those are the ones I've noticed in peoples sig's haha.

From information I've gathered from others here, i should be looking for 780 or 790 chipset with 710 or 750 southbridge. I'm not looking for the absolute best on the market, but for something that will not need replacing anytime soon and adequate overclocking performance. Also integrated graphics would probably be best bet for me now. I'm not a high end gamer, but I like to play Oblivion once and a while, and the integrated GeForce 6150 i'm running right now is fine for that. can always get a card later

I know i've been posting lots of questions about upgrading my computer, and I haven't done any of it yet, but I am working on saving the money up, and in the meantime I figure the more I know, the better decision I can make. Also the more I know, the more expensive my taste seems to get, but thats to be expected i guess.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: GX/GXE/GXB/GX XE... which one?

G = Lower end with integrated graphics
GX = Mid end with integrated graphics
X = Mid end without integrated graphics
FX = High end

The 790 chipset would be the best one for overclocking.

Here are a couple 790s with integrated, that I would suggest:
Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK 790GX-M2RS AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 10-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Those are both great boards b1g linked to, but I have to say the board I have is amazing for overclocking, considering the cost.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

The highest point I've reached on my x3 720 is just shy of 4.1ghz on air, in the middle of summer. :P It's got some really nice features, and it's only 110 bucks.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 10-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Yea, I was thinkin bout the TFORCE 790GX 128. Was probably the board I was leaning towards most. But thats listed as AM3/AM3+ so it wouldn't take my Phenom 9150e (AM2+) would it? I don't think i'll have the money for a good CPU anytime soon as I need to get a PSU, MOBO, and RAM first, and I have about $5-$10 a week to put towards upgrades. Well the ram could probably wait, but I would like fast Dual Channel, I think i'm currently running PC2 6400.

Oh yea, and the "128m" part of that biostar board's name is referring to the 128mb sideport memory (which the gigabyte listed by b1gapl also has) correct?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

The Biostar does support AM2+. It says so on that link that hikari posted. I checked their site though, and they do support Phenoms, but for some reason your particular processor does not show.

And yes, the Gigabyte does support that sideport memory.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Closed Thread