Guys, what graphics card is better (read description before replying) - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 03:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: Guys, what graphics card is better (read description before replying)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric0h View Post
Well, I don't know that either, So I was assuming people that build computer for a living could tell me.

Although right now, I am just looking to go with the 4870, and advertise it as the best gpu you can get right now. But what worries me is that I dont want to spend over 150 extra on something people will not even notice. But again california is preety high tech, but you never know at who looks at the ads.

For example, today I just sold a computer, and the guy had no clue what anything was, and he believe I was selling cheap (while I was making 250 profit) so he asked a friend that knew computers to test it out. But he never really knew what he got. But again, maybe this was just luck?
But that isn't true. Its one of the fastest cards but is not the fastest card. I wouldn't suggest false advertising. Its a great way to get a bad rep.

To answer the original question...The customer would only notice the difference in performance if they play a game that maxes out the 8800gt.
If their budget is low then the 8800gt is fine but if they want to spend more and get better performance then charge more and explain that its a better card. Let the customer choose.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Over and Above Person

Send a message via MSN to Ric0h
Default Re: Guys, what graphics card is better (read description before replying)

I guess I can let the customer decide, but I need a computer up and running.
but Meh, I guess we are all cheap inside, So I am going to go with the 8800 gt so more people can afford it.

As for power supply, can someone recommend me a good one?
I was looking at the 650 tx corsair in new egg, but I hate rebates.
Anyone know of a good one, that will do great, with no rebates?

WD 640 and 22x DVD burner
Old 09-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

The 8800 is a good card, and getting fairly cheap now. It is showing its age in light of the new gen cards, though. The 4850 would be a good card for a mid-range gaming machine, and a 4870 for a high-end one.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 09-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Newegg.com - Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

That's a kit you asked for via PM, also this goes for everybody, I do not accept support requests by PM, just ask it on the forums!
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 09-07-2008, 12:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

i would concentrate on ATi cards and p45 and x38/48 chipsets instead of nvidia chipsets and SLIing nvidia cards.
for one, the intel chipsets are all-around better than nvidia.
for two (lol) crossffire is much more efficient than SLI if your customers decide to go that way.
for three the intel chipsets are MUCH easier to set up and OC IMO.
and you guys saying dont do something because it makes you more money...thats ridiculous. thats the entire point of being in business...maximize profit while providing an honest service. these people are paying you to do something they CANT or WONT...charge them for the service you are providing. and if you can make more money on the parts while people still know what they are getting (re: dont be ripping people off selling them an 8600gs as an "AWESOME GAMING GPU CREAM OF THE CROP!" as a 350.00 upgrade), then more power to ya. the purpose of being in business is to MAKE MONEY, not do favors for people. business 101 from professor nagasama.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Over and Above Person

Thanks vernong,

nagasama, so you recommend the 4850?
Its prob 40 dollars more, which looks liike nothing but it adds up.

and the more I add, the more less people can afford it.

Note: whoever fixed my thread thank you so much.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

if you want to build it for gamers go with a 4850, it's very good and unless they really know their stuff in which case they would probably build their own, it shouldn't matter.

If you want good sounding advertising but not lying I'd say something like: " and with the powerful HD4850 512mb graphics card, one of the best single GPU's. Will play all games out there on the highest settings with no slow down."

I mean obvious it isn't the best but it does beat a whole lot, ok it wont play Crysis on full settings without a bit of slow down but apart from that it's pretty **** good and your right, in business you do have to put a positive light on everything. I mean at least your not trying the whole " and with the powerful 8600GT graphics card which will burn through all your games on high settings"...yeah..if they have zoo tycoon 1 or something.

Saying that it's not like one 8800GT is bad or anything, i suppose it depends what the customer is expecting. If you call it an extreme gaming rig then honour that somewhat by putting in at least a 4850 if not a 4870, however if your advertising it has a " high-end gaming rig", I'd say a 4850 or 800GT is good enough, I've seen gaming rigs going round with 8500GT's, which i think is disgusting tbh. As long as your charging them a fair price for it then it's ok. Even people who aren't familiar with computer components will know you get more the more you spend, just try and be competitive.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ventriac

Ric0h can you give us all the spec's of the system you're building, monitor if included.. everything so we can determine what card to suggest.

CPU E8500MB Asus P5Q Pro
RamOCZ Reaper ddr2800 GPUVisiontek 4870
PSU Toughpower 700 HDD WD 640 GB
Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Over and Above Person

Sure:

700 watts thermaltake Modular power supply (bought today from a member here)
GA-Ep35-Ds3P (gaming mobo with 8 usbs, and crossfire compatible)
Q6600
4Gb 800ghz Patriot viper ram (recommended by vernong) (low latency)
640 WD hard drive
22X dvd burner (samsung) sata
Antec 900 or if power supply fits, (alienware case, to max profits on a bad case lol)

I NEED HELP on cpu fan, I want something cheap and good, couple of months ago it was the ROSEWILL 775x or something like that, but not sure if its the same one right now

Although I am planning on going for my own ram, with a G.skill pc8000, because it just shows its better, and TONS of people do not even know what latency is, and the pc8000 its cheaper so... so sure what I am going for with ram. The pc6400 patriot might be better, but again, I want profit.

I will not include a monitor or any extras... btw
Old 09-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Newegg.com - Rosewill RCX-Z775-LX 92mm Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

It still is for a cheap and powerful cooler or you can get an Arctic Freezer Pro 7

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Closed Thread