GUIDE: How to buy/what to look for when buying a computer or new part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Flanker:D

But if someone besides dumb me would be able to explain memory dividers a little more so a person would understand what they do and how they do it I think I'd be a great addition:D

P.S. I really don't get the whole memory divider thingy...

come on static, make a whole section about memory dividers :freak: sense you spent 7 hours already make it 8

_----------------------------------------_
**********Section 10**********

MEMORY DIVIDERS**

The basics of overclocking your memory, O.O. This is how it starts, ram is basically rated at some particular speed

PC-2100 - DDR266
PC-2700 - DDR333
PC-3200 - DDR400
PC-3500 - DDR434
PC-3700 - DDR464
PC-4000 - DDR500
PC-4200 - DDR525
PC-4400 - DDR550
PC-4800 - DDR600

Most AMD motherboards support PC3200 which is the usual speed for RAM. IF you donÂ’t know ram is random access memory, which serves as a temporary storage of files that the CPU needs to access quickly. This will help when your opening many programs at once or your multi tasking. In games it will help you during loading times, and minimizing the game when your not supposed to :D.

So your problem is, you bought corsair valueselect  knowing that its not good at overclocking. Rofl. Anyways you want to OC your cpu but you can’t OC any further cause your stupid ram wont go any further. You tried various ram timings and voltages but nothing is working!!. So this is what you do O.O smart pc makers. Instead of throwing out your ram and buying some decent ones like OCZ ones you can run memory dividers woot or q00t. Memory Dividers come in a list of things like this

400 = 1:1
333 = 5:6
266 = 2:3
200 = 1:2

or

200 = 1:1
166 = 5:6
133 = 2:3
100 = 1:4

Or if you have a DFI

180 = 9:10
150 = 3:4
143 = 5:7
125 =
100 = 1:2

So on default the ram is 200 or 400, which means if your running the FSB/HTT at 200 then your ram would be running at 200. If you were to run your FSB/HTT at 220 then your ram would run at 220mhz. So your problem is your valueselect wont go past 220mhz, which is pretty lucky for valueselect. So you would first try different mem timings then voltages, if nothing works your last choices is memory dividers :cool:. This is where you would put it at the next step down. Which would be 166, to solve this, you can set up a 5:6 FSB:RAM ratio. Basically, this ratio will mean that for every 6MHz that your FSB runs at your ram will only run at 5mhz :D. So if you put it at 166mhz the memory divider. Then your ram would only be running at 183mhz which is lower then the stock speed of 200mhz, so you know your ram would definitely do that. Which means your cpu will run at 220mhz while your ram is only running at 183. Now you can successfully be stable without any memory errors for your cpu to run at 220mhz woot woot.

thank you :D

************LOL************

Overview of OCing

So you just bought your new system eh? With your cool X2 processor or freakin AMD 64 3200+ Venice, that you want it to do like 3.0Ghz like you see everywhere. But you don’t know squat about OCing, well you came to the right place :D. After you installed everything, make sure you run your comp on all stock settings for around a week or two. This is called the “burning-in” period :D. After the thermal grease has settle and the silicon expanded and what not it is time for you to do it. You OC through the bios, when you start up your computer you either hit delete, or any combinations of the F keys. Once your in the bios, I would say familiarize your self with it like its your own house. Go through all the sections, settings, etc. Once you get to know your bios, find the HTT/FSB speed. This is the main part of your OCing, this is what makes your processor go faster o_O. You need to up this about 5mhz increments, and everything you do it I would suggest you run prime95 for about 12 hours or 24 hours to be on the safe side. Once you get to the point you start to get errors in memtest or prime95, it is time to raise the VCORE or the DIMM voltage. This raises the voltage obviously lol, you will need to raise this in 0.25 increments for the VCORE and the DIMM voltage .5V. If that doesn’t help its obviously your ram crapping out on you and it doesn’t want to go any higher, that’s where the memory dividers come in. LOOK UP! If that still doesn’t work, add more voltage, and if it doesn’t, then you either get a crappy cpu, a bad working psu, or just you got a bad mobo. Those are the three main causes of why you cant OC any further. Obviously you cant just raise the VCORE to like 5.5V or your cpu will fry on you and the temps would be outrageous. The max temp for an AMD 64 processor for me would be around the 35C for idle and 55C full load. Once you reach the 250FSB/HTT mark you will need to lower the LDT multiplier, but on most mobos they do this auto and lower it for you so you don’t have to worry about it.

==============================================

MEMORY

In memory timings, you always want the first number the lowest, the CL timing. 2 is ideal, 2.5 is just average, and 3 is way to high :shocked:. If your OCIng and your producing many memtest errors, its time to adjust the timings. You would first start out at raising the CL timings up .5, so if you were at 2 raise it to 2.5 and add more DIMM voltage. 2.85 is probably a good voltage for regular ram, but some types of other ram like upwards 3.3V. If you can get that stable, you would want to lower the timings. Usually the second number the ras to cas would be higher then the ras precharge which is the third one

CAS latency – RAS TO CAS – RAS PRECHARGE – ACTIVE TO PRECHARGE

Usually it is best to leave the last number high on some types of chipset. So if your stock timings are 2-2-2-5 and you cant OC any more try 2.5-2-2-5 then if you can get that stable try to tighten the timings to like 2-3-2-5, and try some different VDIM voltages.

===============================================

OCING YOUR VIDEO CARD

To OC your video card is simple, you download aTiTool for ATi cards or rivatuner for nVidia based cards, and then you simply start the program up, increase the core speed and memory speed 5mhz increments or 3, and then play your favorite game, not minesweeper something more like BF2, FEAR, HL2, which is very sensitive to OCing your video card. Make sure you also watch your temps to your video card, the video card would take temps upwards to 80C but most people keep it around 50C. Usually the GPU runs hotter then the CPU unless you have some nice super water cooling. This is why people buy after market heatsinks with AS5 and stuff so they can OC farther sense usually the thing holding them back in the heat. If your playing your game and you see dots, or slashes of lines, that means you OCed too far. You will need to downclock a little bit. The reason why you are getting these lines are that the GPU is heating up and can not produce those, or you just got a bad video card like just like you could get a bad CPU. If you OC too far you could also fry your video card . Just make sure you go up slowly, play your game for a couple of hours or minutes rofl, and then keep going until you could get the most stable OC out of your video card. Usually before you want to OC, you want to get a reference, you would want to run 3dmark03 or 3dmark05 and copy that score down, then OC your video card and then see how much improvement you can get :D.

im not sure if this will help i just wanted to post it rofl

What happens if you OCed too far for your CPU

Well all you have to do is put the CMOS jumpers from 1-2 to 2-3 and then leave it there for 10-30 seconds and your done, if that doesnt work refer to your mobo manual or take out the CMOS battery for around 10 minutes.

THE MHZ WARS ARE OVER

CPU marketing

Processors are traditionally rated and advertised by their speed. Computers would be advertised as athlon xp 1.5GHz or athlon xp 2.0GHz. The more gigahertz (GHz) the faster they go. What most buyers don't realize is that in terms of construction, a athlon xp 1.5GHz thoroughbred is identical to a athlon xp 2.17GHz. So why is there a difference in speeds? When a batch of processors is built, different processors in the same batch will have different tolerance levels. In a single batch some processors will only be able to run at 1.5GHz while others can run 1.7GHz, 1.8GHz or 2GHz and so on. This rating is known as the "clock speed". Ideally, processors will be sold at the maximum speeds they are capable of operating at and bring the largest amount of profit to the manufacturer. But as faster processors cost more than the slower ones, demand for the latter is usually higher. In order to meet the market demand, the manufacturer marks processors capable of running at 2GHz at the speed of 1.5GHz units. Because of this, some "slower" processors can happily run at a higher speed. The same thing happens to video cards and ram so if your building a OCing system do your "homework"

FINE IM SORRY im going to make myself a new thread :D lo

cause if i make myself a new thread it wont be stickied so i wont be famous :(

:amazed: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :amazed:

lol, try it.. I wasn't expecting a sticky but then I edited it and spent 7 or 8 hours on it with the help of you and STE

Choosing an optical drive

Here's my take on choosing optical drives. Feel free to append/reject; I am by no means an expert - just a consumer. :D

There are several different kinds of optical drives out there:

CD-ROM: These are the oldest. All they can do is read CDs; no burning, and no DVDs

CD-R: These can read CDs, and burn them.

CD-RW: Do the same thing as CD-R's, but they can also burn CDs in such a way that you can erase/reburn the CDs once again. (RW=Re-Write) Unfortunately, this is pretty much pointless because most of the time you can't use these RW-burned CDs on any computer other than the one you burned it on.

DVD-ROM: These do the same thing as CD-ROM drives, but they can also read DVDs.

DVD-RW: These can read, burn, and reburn anything you put into them!

Optical drives are pretty much all the same these days. You used to have to shell out over $100 for a DVD-burner, but now they're all about $40-50, so there's really no reason NOT to buy a DVD-burner, unless you're really on a tight budget and have to go with a $20 CD-RW drive. Therefore, I believe most people choose their drive based on aesthetics. I, personally, have a Sony DRU-720A burner, which I chose because the first time I saw it on Newegg, I said "Oh, Mommy" (it matches my Antec Aria case quite nicely). The highest-rated DVD-burners on Newegg are from brands NEC and Lite-On, along with a few BenQ's and Sony's. So pick one that looks nice, matches your case, and has decent reviews.

One last note: Most optical drives use IDE interfaces to transfer data to and from the motherboard. Newegg has one DVD burner that uses the SATA interface, but it costs $100 as of this writing and has lots of problems, judging by the 2/5 star rating. :rolleyes:

ilovesocks what do you have to say on Blue Ray and HD-DVD you can buy the burners and roms and you can even buy the discs already but there are not affordable to the consumer.

PZEROFGH said:
come on static, make a whole section about memory dividers :freak: sense you spent 7 hours already make it 8

_----------------------------------------_
**********Section 10**********

MEMORY DIVIDERS**

The basics of overclocking your memory, O.O. This is how it starts, ram is basically rated at some particular speed

PC-2100 - DDR266
PC-2700 - DDR333
PC-3200 - DDR400
PC-3500 - DDR434
PC-3700 - DDR464
PC-4000 - DDR500
PC-4200 - DDR525
PC-4400 - DDR550
PC-4800 - DDR600

Most AMD motherboards support PC3200 which is the usual speed for RAM. IF you donÂ’t know ram is random access memory, which serves as a temporary storage of files that the CPU needs to access quickly. This will help when your opening many programs at once or your multi tasking. In games it will help you during loading times, and minimizing the game when your not supposed to :D.

So your problem is, you bought corsair valueselect  knowing that its not good at overclocking. Rofl. Anyways you want to OC your cpu but you can’t OC any further cause your stupid ram wont go any further. You tried various ram timings and voltages but nothing is working!!. So this is what you do O.O smart pc makers. Instead of throwing out your ram and buying some decent ones like OCZ ones you can run memory dividers woot or q00t. Memory Dividers come in a list of things like this

400 = 1:1
333 = 5:6
266 = 2:3
200 = 1:2

or

100 = 1:4

Or if you have a DFI

180 = 9:10
150 = 3:4
143 = 5:7
125 =
100 = 1:2

So on default the ram is 200 or 400, which means if your running the FSB/HTT at 200 then your ram would be running at 200. If you were to run your FSB/HTT at 220 then your ram would run at 220mhz. So your problem is your valueselect wont go past 220mhz, which is pretty lucky for valueselect. So you would first try different mem timings then voltages, if nothing works your last choices is memory dividers :cool:. This is where you would put it at the next step down. Which would be 166, to solve this, you can set up a 5:6 FSB:RAM ratio. Basically, this ratio will mean that for every 6MHz that your FSB runs at your ram will only run at 5mhz :D. So if you put it at 166mhz the memory divider. Then your ram would only be running at 183mhz which is lower then the stock speed of 200mhz, so you know your ram would definitely do that. Which means your cpu will run at 220mhz while your ram is only running at 183. Now you can successfully be stable without any memory errors for your cpu to run at 220mhz woot woot.

Why do you always whore memory dividers? It's faster and better to not use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom