Guidance on sockets decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magilla

Baseband Member
Hi,
I'm in the process of upgrading and building a few systems for myself and family. It's been a while and we're trying to decide between the socket 478, 754, 939 while looking at the sales and rebates from tiger/newegg etc.

Usage wise there's nothing real serious, no gaming power needed. Maybe some dvd viewing or t.v. via the computer. Personally I'll be looking for something to handle video rendering and editing etc. Heat is an issue too and there's all sorts of stories as to what heats more than others.

We just got info overload :confused: on what the difference is on these sockets and which to use. Any input/guidance or layman's explanation would be much appreciated.

Thank you

939 is what all the new hardware is running at

you have to get a motherboard and cpu that has that socket
so they are compadible

if you need help on brands and models post back
or if you need a more detailed explanation on the beauty of sockets

478 is intels old socket, 775 is intels new socket

754 is amds old socket, and 939 is amds new socket

If your using the pcs for nothing but lightweight work, then I would recomend an intel socket 755 cause you can get a really cheap celeron cpu. Then later if you want, you can uprgade it all the way to a conroe.

I think I got this about figured out. This barebone system should be great for my dad. All prices include rebates.

$270 ABIT UL8 Socket 939 Barebone Kit / AMD Athlon 64 3200+ OEM / 512MB DDR PC3200 / CPU Fan / ATX Mid-Tower Case / 350 Watt PS / Keyboard / Mouse

It seems that individualy the parts are over $300 incl/rebates so although I don't prefer barebones this does pretty good. If I add these items all should be ok I'm guessing.

$25 Chaintech XGI Volari V3 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card

$30 Seagate / 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / Ultra ATA-100 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive and eTrust Internet Security Suite 2006

$100Seagate / 300GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 / Hard Drive with Ultra USB 2.0 / Firewire External Hard Drive Enclosure

I think all that's left is:
80mm fan
120mm fan
power strip/surge protector
win xp home oem

Any favorite quiet running case fans? I keep thinking I'm forgetting something.

Thank you for the input direction.

its better NOT to buy barebone systems, and its BEST to buy from newegg, NOT tiger direct.

Definitely Socket 939, if ur doing video rendering and stuff, get a Dual core processor, cheapest one is X2 3800+, which you should pick. MOtherboard wise, the best for u, and its cheap, is the MSI K8n Neo4-f, its a GREAT motherboard, and if u ever decide to overclock, its one of the best.

as for graphics, you can just get a x1600 pro or 6600GT or 7600GT.

As for sound card, the Creative X-fI XtremeMusic, thats if ur a sound freak.

(time to inject some intel fanboy trash)

how about you get a lga775 based system, so you can be ready for the conroe when it comes out... But make sure you get a 975x chipset and revise the BIOS when the conroe is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom