GTX295 still king ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I feel like a new graphics card, not that my 4870 won't play games perfectly well, i just wan't a new one. You know the feeling :D

Anyway..pretty simple question, is GTX295 still the fastest card out ?, if so, will it be for some considerable time (2+months) or is something superior just around the corner. Fortunately for me. My budget is £500, i'll need a new PSU aswell. Using a £10 500W PSU for my 4870 scares me enough :p not even going to try with a dual gpu card - so i'm allocating around £80 for a PSU, meaning i have 420 for the graphics card.

So if GTX295 is the best, and there isn't a new card coming within the next 1 to 3months, whats the best brand and model card to get ?

edit:

I was looking at this PSU > Corsair 850W TX Series PSU - 140mm Fan - 5 Year Warranty - Ebuyer < Yeh, it's £30 over my allocated PSU budget. But heck, whats £40 when your spending 500. Any good ? And yes i'm sure it's overkill, but you never know... maybe i'll need another 295 down the line.

Wow mate.. you're becoming a new Nosboost ;)

That PSU's good, but I don't think you'd want a Quad SLI based set up tbh.. its really not worth the hassle. Why not get a Corsair 750tx and get a GTX 295?

Wow mate.. you're becoming a new Nosboost ;)

That PSU's good, but I don't think you'd want a Quad SLI based set up tbh.. its really not worth the hassle. Why not get a Corsair 750tx and get a GTX 295?

Not worth the hassle, yet ;) Maybe in a year or two.

But yeh, your ideas are probably more sensible. I want a GTX295, for several reasons. 1) there is only so long i can put up with ATI CCC. 2) I've always wanted to have a card thats worth contributing towards F@H 3) It's funny to annoy the parents with massive electricity bills (due to my PC) :D

oh and 4)

You can never have too many FPS in games, ofcourse.

I do feel slightly guilty though, this would be such a waste :rolleyes: I mean.. i play TF2 and...nope, thats about it. Yet i spend silly amount of money on my system. Just something i enjoy, i guess, whether practical and logical or not.

edit:

Maybe i should get Core i7. Question is, is there any point looking at my current CPU ? I'm not to sure, need some more expert opinions...

I don't see the point to be honest.. but if you want to feel free..

If you really want to make the parents mad on the energy bill, the GTX 295 will do it more than a Core i7 would haha

Yeh the i7 is a bit more efficient that your Q9550 so gain there to annoy the parents. I would say stick with you CPU at the moment and upgrade to some faster ram.

I feel like a new graphics card, not that my 4870 won't play games perfectly well, i just wan't a new one. You know the feeling :D

Anyway..pretty simple question, is GTX295 still the fastest card out ?, if so, will it be for some considerable time (2+months) or is something superior just around the corner. Fortunately for me. My budget is £500, i'll need a new PSU aswell. Using a £10 500W PSU for my 4870 scares me enough :p not even going to try with a dual gpu card - so i'm allocating around £80 for a PSU, meaning i have 420 for the graphics card.

So if GTX295 is the best, and there isn't a new card coming within the next 1 to 3months, whats the best brand and model card to get ?

edit:

I was looking at this PSU > Corsair 850W TX Series PSU - 140mm Fan - 5 Year Warranty - Ebuyer < Yeh, it's £30 over my allocated PSU budget. But heck, whats £40 when your spending 500. Any good ? And yes i'm sure it's overkill, but you never know... maybe i'll need another 295 down the line.

If you decide against all of this, and want to do this later when you have more money, or just decide to keep that HD 4870, I recommend checking this post out:

http://www.techist.com/forums/1432904-post702.html

Apok's post has a link to the Diamond XOC HD 4870 BIOS, which does 800mhz stock and it will let you max as much as you want in CCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom