If you don't want to wait for the 9xx series then the GTX would fit you well, If what the Lost Planet demo benchmark show is true ( DX10 ) the GTX is not clearly a true DX10 card, yes we know it can max out all games right now but all this game are DX9 and have been in the market since some time now. The GTX card is been out for almost 1 year out and we haven't seen DX10 games at all (Company of Heroes just recently released a DX10 patch for the game).
Anyone feel free to correct me since I maybe wrong
Anyway I could said that I'm in the same boat as you are Gabb, I start planning since mid April to make a new rig since that I wait until May and now I'm waiting up to July 22 for some price drops in other parts ( CPU anyones
?!?) but thats not my problem, my real problem is that I don't know if I should do my new rig in July because:
1. There aren't any DX10 games out that interest me right now.
2. The 8800 series (GTX & GTS respectively) has been out for about a year now (around 7 months old)
3. AMD-ATI have not launch a rival for the GTX yet thats why most likely they have not even drop one single dollar of the price of the GTX cards.
4. Thinking myself this: It is really worth spend $556 now while in some months that price should drop and a new & better card is set at that price??
Thats all my points of view and in any way don't have to be yours
But honestly I'm just as ready as anyone here to upgrade but my instinct tell me to wait a little and see what happen.( I might sound like I will never be able to upgrade but I'm trying to find a sweet spot to do it I now there is no perfect time to upgrade they are just adequate time)
I'm just letting you know what I think of this situation right now and I hope it can help you decide what is best for you not confuse you in any way