GTX 295 or 4870x2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dartgande

In Runtime
Friend is building a new rig, and what will be his best bang for buck? Needs something fairly future-proof too, as he only upgrades video cards every 1.5-2 years.

Thanks in advance!

I'd say go for the GTX 295 if you can afford it. It consumes a lot less power at load compared to a 4870x2. But, it would be pointless to have if you're not gaming on a resolution of 1920 x 1200 or above.

Yeah, I told him I didn't think it'd matter much. I didn't see the GTX 295 giving him a world of difference in performance, but I always check my stuff here first. Thanks. He games on 1920 x 1200; so, I will recommend the 295 unless I see a sweet deal on a 4870x2 on the buy/sell/trade.

4870x2 runs hot at least my friends did and that was even after new drivers.

I'd go with the 295 and that is coming from a ATI guy :)

Personally i'd suggest either a 285 or 295 from xfx or evga just for ease of RMA should anything go wrong. Unless you can find an XFX 4870x2, but i dont think they make them just yet. ATI board partners arent exactly the greatest when it comes to customer service.

yeah, gtx 295 then.

To Veedub: Just curious, why did you go tri-sli instead of quad-sli? Is it easier to water cool the 85's or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom