GTX 280 > 8800GTS yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joowan

In Runtime
I think im ready to upgrade my graphic cards, my computer as it sits have 2 8800GTS'es in SLI i was thinking of upgrading to a GTX280, for the price i could sell the 8800s its pretty much a straight trade for a GTX280

would It make a big difference?

You have two G92s in SLI? I don't think you'll see much gain over a single 280, especially not on the native res of your 22" monitor. Now if you get 2xGTX280 in SLI, that's something else.... :D

just a heads up, a brand new 8800gts 512 can be had for $110 at newegg.

for selling the used ones, i dont think you can get a gtx 280 "strait up". you will have to fork out a little more cash.

but with that said, 2x recertified gtx 260's will cost about the same or a little more as a gtx 280, and that would be a really nice jump in performance for you over the 8800's

They would probably perform the same, although in high res w/ heavy AA i'd expect the GTX280 to come out ahead with its 1GB buffer

just a heads up, a brand new 8800gts 512 can be had for $110 at newegg.

for selling the used ones, i dont think you can get a gtx 280 "strait up". you will have to fork out a little more cash.

but with that said, 2x recertified gtx 260's will cost about the same or a little more as a gtx 280, and that would be a really nice jump in performance for you over the 8800's

thanks, i was actually looking at EVGA's Bstock they have a GTX280 for 249.

and no i dont really game anymore, im now using my PC for digital imaging like multiple instances of photoshop.

thanks, i was actually looking at EVGA's Bstock they have a GTX280 for 249.

and no i dont really game anymore, im now using my PC for digital imaging like multiple instances of photoshop.

In that case i would get the GTX280 instead. The benifits in photoshop may be minimal, but there are other reasons like - its a newer card, newer warrenty, consumes less power, no SLI issues, less heat, chance of adding another 280 if you want.

So i would do it if i were you

If you have gts g80's then a gtx280 would be a worthy upgrade more so(640mb or 320mb versions). But it sounds like your sure you have a gts 512mb, either way a gtx280 is going to be better and more future proof.

Sounds pretty pointless if you don't game though....

I agree... kinda pointless. However, why not sell your two GTS's and get a single GTX260? It'll be about the same, you might not need to fork out any additional cash, and you'll get a newer card. FWIW, I sold my old 8800GTX for enough to get a EVGA GTX260. I saw marginal increase in gaming performance,but had less noise and less heat. Nice thing getting the newer card was that after having the GXT260 for 2 months I traded up to a EVGA GTX275 for $20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom