Graphics and PSU issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Graphics and PSU issue

When a graphics card requires a power supply that rates 30 on the 12v rail, is it possible to use it with a PSU that has two 12v rails, both rating at 20?

I need to know because I am thinking about getting the X1900XTX, and my PSU meets the wattage requirements, but it only has 20 on each of its rails. As a matter of fact, no PSU I looked at on newegg rated that high on the 12v rail...

Also, the requirements assume a fully loaded system, but mine is far from that. It will only have at most 2 optical drives (most likely just one), and one hard drive, and possibly a FDD, that defiately isnt loaded compared to what you guys are running .

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rMessage-1.png

Here\'s a quote I saw once on a /b/ forum a while back, I think it\'s funny:

I\'ve been thinking of \"Heck\" lately. If it even exists, it\'s got to be a much nicer place than \"Heaven\". I mean... all the gay men are down there. You KNOW it\'s well decorated.

Note that I do not in any way condone homophobia or am in any way homophobic. I merely thought that it was clever.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

the terms get all muddled and confused...the avg and pretty much all psus are around 20-24...so you should be fine.

I think the industry needs to finalize some of this stuff so people...and posers! stopp telling others, things like, "Due you need 50 on that 12v rail" yada yada yada

Just keep this in mind, the most technical sites that don't spew gibberish, say a 400watt psu can handle a fully loaded system. This is taking into accounts not overclocking and no dual vga set ups. But go more if ye wish

Old 08-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hard Gay Nahalem! Fooo!

Send a message via AIM to NosBoost300

ya.. that 30 amps assumes a fully loaded system.. like 3 hdd's 3 cd drives... overclocked cpu.. soundcard.. networkcard and a bunch of junk like that... and when it asks about amps... think of it as the combined amps and not just on 1 single rail... i run 38 amps (dual rail) so 19 each, and my x1900xt runs just fine
Media Build:
Intel Core i3 3220 | Galaxy GTX 650 | 8 GB Corsair Vengeance | ASrock B75M | Samsung 840 120GB
Old 08-25-2006, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by atomic tofu
the terms get all muddled and confused...the avg and pretty much all psus are around 20-24...so you should be fine.

I think the industry needs to finalize some of this stuff so people...and posers! stopp telling others, things like, "Due you need 50 on that 12v rail" yada yada yada

Just keep this in mind, the most technical sites that don't spew gibberish, say a 400watt psu can handle a fully loaded system. This is taking into accounts not overclocking and no dual vga set ups. But go more if ye wish
Thanks. I assumed that it would be OK because ATI assumes a fully loaded system when determining minimum requirements, so I should be able to run the card on one rail with something small like a few fans, and run everything else off of the other. That way, I may be able to pull a small overclock on my 64 X2 4600+.

Funny that nosboost waits till while I'm typing ot post, he basically said what I just said.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rMessage-1.png

Here\'s a quote I saw once on a /b/ forum a while back, I think it\'s funny:

I\'ve been thinking of \"Heck\" lately. If it even exists, it\'s got to be a much nicer place than \"Heaven\". I mean... all the gay men are down there. You KNOW it\'s well decorated.

Note that I do not in any way condone homophobia or am in any way homophobic. I merely thought that it was clever.
Closed Thread