Graphics card Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
this might sound a bit stupid but you know the x2 type graphics cards, do you need 2 pci-e slots? like crossfire/sli.

A card that is an "X2" model is essentially two cards on one pcb, or two pcbs that share one pcie connector. They only require one slot but they will require more power, so your power supply may become an issue unless it has multiple pcie power plugs and has a stable 12v rail.

only way i'll buy a 4870x2... is if it outperforms the gtx280 in crysis...

we got the gtx refresh coming out soon.... and the way i see it... crysis is the main factor for me.. it is THE most demanding game out now....

i don't care if the 4870 gets 230fps in a game... while the gtx280 gets 200 in a game...

everygame they both play, they are above acceptable frame rates.... so... for me.. whichever plays crysis better wins my heart ;)

Go look at all the previews.

But at 1900X1200 and higher with AA and AF the X2 beats out the GTX more often than not.

But don't take my word for it, as I said, go look at all the previews..

ahh, i thought the gtx was better at higher, i might have gotten that mixed up.. its been a while since i've viewed them

anywho... i've got a month and ahalf before i buy my stuff anyway... in the meantime.. i'm getting my case and watercooling ready

Oh, my bad, I keep forgetting about the ddr5 being the difference.

Ya, I think I'll be getting a single 4850, maybe August 17-19 I'll buy if they still are $140. I'm waiting for $140 WITHOUT mir's though.

Then a few months later I might pick up a second. Probably not.

Does the ddr5 help in higher resoultions that much? What would be better at 1920 x 1200? 4850 crossfire (X2) or 1 4870? Because sometimes you can get the 2 4850's cheaper then a single 4870... sometimes...

ahh, i thought the gtx was better at higher, i might have gotten that mixed up.. its been a while since i've viewed them

anywho... i've got a month and ahalf before i buy my stuff anyway... in the meantime.. i'm getting my case and watercooling ready

Well, let me break this down for you, Im exluding tests at resolutions lower than 1900X1200, and I go by Avg FPS not max/min.

So using these previews I am going to count the amount of times the X2 beats the GTX 280 in all games and then just in crysis.

Also: I am excluding Vantage and 3dmark06 tests as well, even though the X2 outright, beats the GTX 280 in these tests...

AnandTech: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 - R700 Preview: AMD's Fastest Single Card
[H] Enthusiast - AMD ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 Preview
PC Perspective - AMD Radeon HD 4870 X2 1GB Preview - R700 a bit early
Radeon HD 4870 X2 Performance Preview - 3D Graphics, Audio & HDTV by ExtremeTech
HEXUS.net - Preview :: Twin-gun AMD R700 aims to blow NVIDIA out of the water : Page - 1/14
An early peek at the Radeon HD 4870 X2 - The Tech Report - Page 1

And that isn't even all of the reviews.. Remember I am excluding tests at resolutions lower than 1900 X 1200
# of tests the X2 beats the GTX 280 in all games tested (Including Crysis): 8 of 8 From Anandtech, 2 of 2 from HardForum, 5 of 5 from PC Perspective, 6 of 6 from ExtremeTech, 4 of 5 from Hexus, 7 of 7 from Tech Report
# of tests the X2 beats the GTX in Crysis: 2 of 2 from anandTech, 1 of 1 from HardForum, 1 of 1 from PC Perspective, 2 of 2 from ExtremeTech, 0 of 1 from Hexus, 2 of 2 from techreport.

So there you have it, according to the previews noted above the X2 is downright the better card over the GTX 280 in all games, including Crysis.
Not considering Price and Power consumption, just on raw performence..

In fact, if you look closely, the GTX 280 only beats the X2 in one, single, test in crysis, which was from the Hexus preview..
Does the ddr5 help in higher resoultions that much? What would be better at 1920 x 1200? 4850 crossfire (X2) or 1 4870? Because sometimes you can get the 2 4850's cheaper then a single 4870... sometimes...

Well, it isn't so much the difference in memory, but Crossfire 4850's outperform a single 4870... So if you have the money and two PCIE slots, then go for it...

Editing: Complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom