GPU, upgrade now or wait? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Space Ninja Pirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winona, MN
Posts: 586
Default GPU, upgrade now or wait?

Currently I have an x1800xt 256mb card and while it actaully is not a bad performer, it does not really cut in with some of the newer titles like STALKER. I am torn between just getting an x1950 series card now, or holding out for a DX10 card (likely an 8800GTS, 8600 just not worth it). There is a good hundred bucks in price difference there holding back my decision. My main worry is woudl a 1950 card hold me over for at least another year and a half since I doubt I coudl upgrade again any sooner than that. Oh yes, and my current rig, besides my GPU, is a 4200x2, 2 gigs of patriot (only stable at 533), KA3 MVP mobo from ECS and a 550watt antec truepower.
__________________

__________________
TheDiceman is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Space Ninja Pirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winona, MN
Posts: 586
Default Re: GPU, upgrade now or wait?

More specifically I am looking at a 1950 Pro 512mb by Sapphire.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100196L Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
__________________

__________________
TheDiceman is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: GPU, upgrade now or wait?

Get the 8800GTS 320mb.
Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

Or if you can't afford right now, go for a 7900GS, instead of the X1950PRO. It overclocks really well, and will perform better than the X1950PRO. It's around the same price as an X1950PRO.
__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Space Ninja Pirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winona, MN
Posts: 586
Default Re: GPU, upgrade now or wait?

The 7900 is much more in my immediate price bracket. I hate how hard it is to predict the lifespan of DX9 over X
__________________
TheDiceman is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Geek Squad
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 788
Default Re: GPU, upgrade now or wait?

You can always buy an eVGA card and then use the stepup program within I think 3 months and just pay the difference for a bigger card.
__________________
"Truth is violated by falsehood but outraged by silence."

"Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power." ~Sun Tzu

"Ad Astra Per Aspera"

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." ~Confucious

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” ~ Samuel Jackson

“Omnis vir est fortunae faber”
JoshSB is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: GPU, upgrade now or wait?

Yea, you can get an evga 7900GS, and when you have a little more money, you can use the step-up program for an 8 series.
__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Space Ninja Pirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winona, MN
Posts: 586
Default Re: GPU, upgrade now or wait?

Step up Program? Have not heard of this, although I was looking at EVGA anyway because of their replacement policy.
__________________
TheDiceman is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: GPU, upgrade now or wait?

go with this 256 MB XFX Xtrne edition:
Newegg.com - XFX PVT71PUDP3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 EXTREME Video Card - Retail
or go with this factory overclocked one 2 512 MB for 20$ extra bucks: Newegg.com - MSI NX7900GS-T2D512E-OC GeForce 7900GS 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Over CLock Edition Video Card - Retail
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Space Ninja Pirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Winona, MN
Posts: 586
Default Re: GPU, upgrade now or wait?

Does the jump from 256 to 512 make that significant of a difference?

Also, I notice that the 7900GS actually is listed below my current x1800xt 256mb on the card rankings sticky.
__________________
TheDiceman is offline  
Old 05-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
b1gapl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 13,044
Default Re: GPU, upgrade now or wait?

The memory helps in the resolutions you're playing games at. The higher the resolution, the more memory you should have.
__________________

__________________


3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

b1gapl is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows Vista Upgrade uzi9mm Off Topic Discussion 18 07-19-2007 09:26 PM
Upgrade this Dell dimension C251 uniq1 New Systems | Building and Buying 6 05-01-2007 07:42 PM
Vista Upgrade? Saynt25 Microsoft Windows and Software 4 04-18-2007 04:48 PM
Vista Upgrade Christon Microsoft Windows and Software 5 04-07-2007 12:59 PM
upgrade to vista j3wcl@w Microsoft Windows and Software 23 03-30-2007 01:27 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.