GPU, upgrade now or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDiceman

Space Ninja Pirate
Currently I have an x1800xt 256mb card and while it actaully is not a bad performer, it does not really cut in with some of the newer titles like STALKER. I am torn between just getting an x1950 series card now, or holding out for a DX10 card (likely an 8800GTS, 8600 just not worth it). There is a good hundred bucks in price difference there holding back my decision. My main worry is woudl a 1950 card hold me over for at least another year and a half since I doubt I coudl upgrade again any sooner than that. Oh yes, and my current rig, besides my GPU, is a 4200x2, 2 gigs of patriot (only stable at 533), KA3 MVP mobo from ECS and a 550watt antec truepower.

You can always buy an eVGA card and then use the stepup program within I think 3 months and just pay the difference for a bigger card.

Yea, you can get an evga 7900GS, and when you have a little more money, you can use the step-up program for an 8 series.

Step up Program? Have not heard of this, although I was looking at EVGA anyway because of their replacement policy.

Does the jump from 256 to 512 make that significant of a difference?

Also, I notice that the 7900GS actually is listed below my current x1800xt 256mb on the card rankings sticky.

The memory helps in the resolutions you're playing games at. The higher the resolution, the more memory you should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom