GPU upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeslangley

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I have a fairly old system that I built about 2-3 years ago.

Now I am no longer sure about the specifics of what i have got but your advice would be great anyway.

Having benchmarked the system on 3dmark2005 I am scoring about 1650 :(

i am playing games like F.E.A.R and battlefield 2 and its grinding to say the least.

I am on a real budget here so I can afford right now to upgrade the whole system which is what I really want to do.

Firstly, if you have any suggestions on how I can find out what components I actually have on a detailed basis then please let me know.

I have a P4 2.8 ghz which I brought from a cheap system through PC world in the UK, I dropped the rest of this system but ekpt the CPU thinking it was a good chip, I have a funny feeling the chip has a core speed of 400mhz?

I have 1 gig of RAm that I brought from ebuyer.com years ago which I think is either DDR 333 or 266.

The mother board is an ASUS ATX board with an AGP 8X GPU socket.

Its running 1 80 gig IDE HD at the moment.

The GPU at the moment is an ATI 9600 128 meg

now I am thinking that I could rip out the ATI 9600 and buy a Nvidia 6800 GT card and over clock that, but would this be the most cost effective way of upgrading this computer?

mmk.. well it depends on how much your willing to spend.
Everyone's going to be saying either 6600,6600GT,6800, or 6800GT.

I think you would be happy with a 6600GT (eVGA) they come in AGP too :). Cost about $150.00, maybe 160 with S&H. :)
Plus it will blow your ATI out of the water :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom