gpu thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Sorry for bumping + double posting, but I didn't feel like it was necessary to create a new thread)

PSU: Ultra LS500 Lifetime Series 500W Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, PCI-Express, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration at TigerDirect.com

I feel that the 5850 would better suit my needs (Black Ops + future games, full settings) than a 570 or a GTX 460, but I want to try and avoid upgrading my psu.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
Graphic Cards - ATI Radeon HD 5000 - ATI Radeon

According to xfx and newegg, this requires a minimum of a 500W psu, which is what I have, along with 2 6-pin connectors. I only have 1. Could I use this one 6-pin connector and use the 4-pin molex to 6-pin connector for the 2nd connection? Would this my psu be enough to power this? My thoughts: xfx says 500 watt is a minimum so wouldn't they give it a little cushion room. They also say nothing about +12v requirements...?

Yha you really need less than 500W. But the biggest issue is your psu, assuming its the Ultra, is pretty budget. It has only 28A on the 12V rail, which is touch n go for the 5850.

Better the Amp better the psu and therefore the more you can push it.

My next thought is you really need to upgrade the psu to a better one. Example is the 500W ocz has 3 18 Amp rails which comes out to bout 45Amps.

So...having a small 12v rail would mean it just can't get up to its full potential (like not 99% usage like my current 9500 gt does) ? ...or am I understanding this wrong.. lol

Edit:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5850-review-crossfire/9

this says needs 40 amps otherwise it could:

bad 3D performance
crashing games
spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
freezing during gameplay
PSU overload can cause it to break down

I'll hold off on getting a new graphics card and just work with what I've got...I'll wait until I can upgrade more than just the gpu..thanks patonb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom