Which GPU should i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJCC0

Baseband Member
I've been looking for an upgrade to my rig for quite a while now and as a student on a budget it's a bit of a pain to find the right choice of card.

I have a budget of £150-£200

I've been looking at the GTX 460/470 and it's there when i'm getting stuck on which to buy,
My Mobo is a XFX and is designed for SLi and i currently have a 8800Gs. I have been looking at ATI for a while but after looking into it a bit more i think a more viable option would be to get a new Nvidia card and keep my current card in the case solely for PhysX

I know the 470 has some heat issues but with an antec1200 case the cooling isn't to much of a worry.

any ideas would be grealty appreciated

I've been looking for an upgrade to my rig for quite a while now and as a student on a budget it's a bit of a pain to find the right choice of card.

I have a budget of £150-£200

I've been looking at the GTX 460/470 and it's there when i'm getting stuck on which to buy,
My Mobo is a XFX and is designed for SLi and i currently have a 8800Gs. I have been looking at ATI for a while but after looking into it a bit more i think a more viable option would be to get a new Nvidia card and keep my current card in the case solely for PhysX

I know the 470 has some heat issues but with an antec1200 case the cooling isn't to much of a worry.

any ideas would be grealty appreciated

You could get an ati card and use your nvidia for physx I think.

It depends what games you want to play, the new 6850/6870's are good, aswell as the gtx 460, they're all great cards.

If you can tell me what games you are interested in playing I could help you out some more?

Yeah i've been trying to look into using an ati card and the nvidia for physX but i'm not entirely sure how my motherboard is going to react to it. i know techincally it shouldn't make a difference as there not connected in anyway but nothing is ever tha simple. :D

I'm a big fan of FPS and will probaly be getting Black Ops/Medal of Honour etc. but i'm also a fan of strategy and racing. I do play a bit of everything but i would say my focus is on FPS games.

The motherboard wont make a difference. The difference is its a real pain to get ATI and Nvidia to play nice to use PhysX. Another thing is if you get a 400 series card then having a slower card for PhysX really wont be helping much if at all.

Either way you should be set if you decide on a 460 or 6870. Its all down to what your wallet wants in the end.

personally I'd go for a 6870, Or possibly this gigabyte 460, ive seen reviews and it's the best gtx 460 according to them. Gigabyte GTX 460 Super OverClock Edition 1GB Dual DVI.. | Ebuyer.com

Yes i've also seen that gig card and it did catch my attention :p obviously it does appeal but i could probaly reach the same level of overclock myself and save me a bit of cash.
I have been looking at the 5000 and now 6000 series for some time and for the price you get more card for the money. My main concern with ATI is there amazingly dodgey drivers. They seem to have a knack for making drivers that don't work properly. i've had serveral firends with ATI cards and only one who hasn't had any issues with there drivers

Yes i've also seen that gig card and it did catch my attention :p obviously it does appeal but i could probaly reach the same level of overclock myself and save me a bit of cash.
I have been looking at the 5000 and now 6000 series for some time and for the price you get more card for the money. My main concern with ATI is there amazingly dodgey drivers. They seem to have a knack for making drivers that don't work properly. i've had serveral firends with ATI cards and only one who hasn't had any issues with there drivers

Yep, but, They're improving alot To be honest. I'd go with the 6870 or that Gigabyte one :3 I have an 5770 myself, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom