Gpu Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper15

Baseband Member
I was wondering if a card with 256mb ddr3 is better than a card with 512mb ddr2? Thanks

DDR3 has more bandwidth. It depends on the game you're playing. If you want to put the setting on 'ultra' for Quake 4, you need a 512mb card. Some games do fine on 256, which is what I'd buy. Usually the price jump can't be justifed for that small amount of ram.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
DDR3 has more bandwidth. It depends on the game you're playing. If you want to put the setting on 'ultra' for Quake 4, you need a 512mb card. Some games do fine on 256, which is what I'd buy. Usually the price jump can't be justifed for that small amount of ram.

Ryan

Q4 on ultra settings runs fine when I play single player on my puter...and I only have 256mb VRAM.

I don't....24 pipes vs 12 500-600mhz memory vs 800-900mhz.....2gb RAM vs 1, Dual Core VS Single Core.

My point is that Q4 states it requires 512 mb memory allocated for textures...yet it doesn't say whether it needs 512 vram or a mix of VRAM and system RAM

I don't plan on playing 1st person shooters Like BF2 and Q4, mainly Command and conquer generals, Rise of Nations, NFS MW, flightsim 04, AOE 3, and other real time strategy games.

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
well, your game 'running fine' and mine getting 2fps, then crashing, is very different.

Ryan

I consider an average of 45+ fps to be "running fine" in terms of single player games

viper15 said:
I don't plan on playing 1st person shooters Like BF2 and Q4, mainly Command and conquer generals, Rise of Nations, NFS MW, flightsim 04, AOE 3, and other real time strategy games.

In that case, I wouldn't look at gpu memory 'quantity.' Usually the people who put the cards together don't starve the gpu of memory, so get the one with any features you want.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom