gpu overheating, upgrade gpu or new system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gskgsad

Solid State Member
Hi, back again for some help.

Built my system 4 years ago, and have been mostly happy with it.

Chipset fan failed on the mobo failed like the first person who responded about my build said it would, and my powersupply failed.

Have been very happy with the cpu, the gpu has been a bit disappointing, and now is running very hot. 95C no apps, up to around 115C under load. I just tried playing LOTRO after not playing for 2 years and its unplayable. Screen freezes for about 30secs, followed by maybe 2-3 secs of game working. I also get random crashes playing AOC(old rts game) that I'm guessing are from the gpu overheating though I'm not positive. Game will run fine 10 games in a row, then it will just randomly insta crash on me.

I don't keep up with latest technology too much, so not sure how my cpu compares with newer processors (i7 quad?) Mostly curious if I can get by with just upgrading the gpu or if I'm looking at a new rig.

Basics of what I'm running:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail $301
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256-P2-N517-AX Video Card - Retail
$314
Newegg.com - EVGA 256-P2-N517-AX GeForce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $160
Newegg.com - ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
$200
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ5002048ELGE-K - Desktop Memory

Link to entire build:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/think-im-ready-order-86031/

thanks.

after your psu failed, what other psu did you end up replacing it with?

any new high end gfx card that you upgrade to could possibly get bottlenecked by your cpu, so if you have the money, i would look into replacing the mobo (along with newer ram), cpu, and gpu, so post your budget.

I got a Corsair tx 650w.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

I can spend 2k or so if needed, just want to make sure im not spending money for no reason. Would likely just do a new build instead of replacing mobo cpu ram gpu since my os hard driver is constantly full and power supply and hard drives don't fit too well anymore, had to break a piece of my case to get the old power supply out. Plus I'd like to try to get a slightly quieter rig.

if it were me, I'd just upgrade the video card and go from there

if you are happy with the performance an upgraded video card, then

put all that cash you would have spent in a cash deposit or something and when you feel like an upgrade is needed, more cash to burn!

if not happy with just video card upgrade, then buy more :silly:

Think I'll try clowns idea and upgrade just the video card and see how performance is with rest of my machine.

Sapphire ATI 5850 looks pretty awesome, availability seems like an issue though.
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

not in at newegg until the 16th, and didn't find it available elsewhere from a really quick google search.

Any obvious issues I would have with my current setup with this card? Still running xp btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom