GPU needs and such

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
I have this monitor: Newegg.com - ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 12000 : 1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

And it is great and all, but for graphic editing and such, a second, or possibly even a third would be ideal.

So I plan to move to a 3 monitor system, 2 of the one I have, and one bigger one in the middle (unless this is not a great idea to have different sized LCDs)

For Gaming, only the big middle one would be used.

System right now is:
P6T Deluxe Mobo
Intel Core i7 (2.67GHz)
6 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM (Will be adding another 6 later with monitors)
Corsair TX 750W power supply

I wanna know which GPU's my system can handle for this set up, I may end up only double screening, or maybe not at all, but I want to be prepared. I don't have money right now for this sorta thing, so it's a "future planning" so if I need to replace parts that's ok. Just wanted to get all of you thinking on this now, so maybe in a little bit I can start buying.

I don't think you need more than 6 gigs of ram. better off saving that money and putting it towards a ****** video card.

Unless you are using a 64bit OS , the 6GB is overkill. Try 2GB with the games you are playing now, that i7 sounds like a beast of a CPU coupled with a great graphics card. What does your budget look like?

Unless you are using a 64bit OS , the 6GB is overkill. Try 2GB with the games you are playing now, that i7 sounds like a beast of a CPU coupled with a great graphics card. What does your budget look like?

2GB? Are we back in 2003?

:/

4GB is definitely the standard today and since i7 is tri-channel 6GB should be the minimum. However, I agree that 12GB is a bit overkill.

As for the videocard, I'd get either a 4890 or GTX 275

On the ram issue I'm going to say get 3 or 6 gigs of ram. You have an i7 so you have trichannel, which means your ram modules will come in multiples of 3. 3 is fine, and 6 will give you a lot of wiggle room. keep in mind that memory improves with time, and the ddr3 we have next year will be better for the same price. When DDR2 came out it was nothing like it is today. So 6gigs now may be a poor investment. Just my $.02

If you want a particular card recommendation get the 4890. Great value. Beats the gtx260, gtx275 and in some cases the gtx280. 4890s are also a bit cheaper than gtx275s and are in stock now.

+1 to zmatt here. I like the idea of 6gb, but that could possibly be because most DDR2 systems that people build have 4gb, and 3gb sounds like a downgrade to me. :p 6gb is worth it in the long run.

Now for a 3 monitor system, you're going to need 2 cards, or you could grab one 4850 x2. I would recommend the 4850 x2 option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom