GPU necessary? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default GPU necessary?

I just hired a new office manager who will start tomorrow and built her a new computer as well. I'm getting a 4 beep - no bios startup (MSI A68A-G43 mb) and everything I can find says its a bad system timer, but one place suggested that the processor wasn't compatible with the IGP (integrated graphics processor). I looked to see if the i5-3570 was compatible with it, but wasn't positive (it looked like it might be). I have built 2, i7 computers, but they both have GPUs. While I wait for responses, I'm going to take one of the video cards out of one of them and see if I can get to bios that way. If not, I'll see if there are any other suggestions you all have or if it will need to be RMAd. I'm hoping I can get this figured out tonight so I can get it running, programs installed, networked etc tonight.

If it turns out that it needs a GPU, I'll just run to office max and grab one real quick.

Thanks for the help

JB Rekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: GPU necessary?

Ok, talked to tech support and my mb was made in feb of this year and bios needs to be the april or newer to work with the ivy bridge processors. It doesn't support my i7 processors, so does anyone know any tricks to updating bios when you can't boot your computer to bios? If not, it gets RMAd and hope they can figure out what bios version is on it prior to sending it back or this could be a huge waste of time.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
ninja troll

it seems like you could swap out a gpu to update the bios pretty quickly. 'live update 5' apparently makes the bios flash real easy. MSI Global ? Mainboard - P67A-G43 (B3)

i don't know how you could update the bios otherwise if you cant see anything on the screen.
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

jasonalwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

You'll have to use another GPU to update the bios. There isn't any other way to flash without being able to see. Most flash programs are from within Windows these days.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Thanks for the suggestions, but I guess I might not have been as clear as I needed to on what the tech told me. The integrated graphics is fine and putting in my gpu didn't help. It won't boot to bios with an Ivy Bridge processor, so I need to find or take it to someone with a sandy bridge to get it to boot to bios so it can be updated by 2 months and then it will boot with the ivy i5.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Take your board ram and power supply to a shop, oh and usb stick with bios, qand get them to do it.

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Take your board ram and power supply to a shop, oh and usb stick with bios, qand get them to do it.
Yeah, I'm looking for places close by.

Thanks